Will this be suitable?! (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

Hi, i've recently bought a Denon DM-31 hifi and want a small mini-itx box to sit below it that will play mp3s. But now that i've found Media Portal (I already use XBMC on my xbox in living room) i want to use it as the main interface.

I don't need it to have any PVR capability...all i want is it to play music and perhaps also play the odd movie.

The mobo i want to use is the Via Epia ME6000 with 512MB PC2100 DDR, a 80GB Samsung SpinPoint and an Audigy 2 ZS. I'm guessin that i'll connect it up to a small 15in TFT.

Do ya reckon that this will perform alright?? I tried MediaPortal on my 933MHz laptop and it seemed alright. But will Windows and MediaPortal grind the Epia to a halt?!

All help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks! C

A

Anonymous

hey mate what is the CPU? OI dont think I missed it in your post anyway :)

A

Anonymous

simbot82 said:
hey mate what is the CPU? OI dont think I missed it in your post anyway :)

Sorry, the Epia ME6000 has a 600MHz Eden chip. Although after a bit more googling i'm more tempted towards a new board by Epia....with an 800MHz chip. I'm pretty sure that it'll be plenty for simple video and audio considering that the xbox runs a 733MHz!

Thanks again! C :wink:

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    The only thing youll find is that the 600Mhz rating wont compare to that of a 600Mhz of a Intel/Amd equivalent. They are a very low power chip so are a very slow solution.

A

Anonymous

You also have to remember that you cannot simply compare a 800mhz to a 733mhz chip in an xbox. The xbox is a very specilised piece of equiplment with everything dsigned to run to its absolute potential. The xbox is a suprisingly powerful piece equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom