Win 7 64 bit and Hauppauge Wintv-PVR-500MCE (1 Viewer)

Liquidtouch

Portal Pro
February 25, 2007
Victoria, BC Canada
Home Country
Canada Canada
I am trying to install TV Server on my desktop running Win 7 - 64 bit. My card is a Hauppauge Wintv-500MCE.

Alll the channels scan with no issues. When I watch a channel however there is lots of artifacting and very poor audio. I tried watching TV using MCE to see if the problem was there as well and it was. Searching on Hauppauge I found this patch for Windows 7:

Windows Media Center may display Low Bit Rate overlay messages on a computer that is running Windows 7

Installing it fixed the problem for MCE and TV works fine.

In MP the problem persists.

Does anyone know what this patch actually does and if I can replicate its success within MP? Or is the fact it fixed the problem in MCE a coincidence?

Thanks.

Liquidtouch

Portal Pro
February 25, 2007
Victoria, BC Canada
Home Country
Canada Canada
Figured it out. The drivers for these cards only support less than 4GB of RAM. Decreasing the amount of RAM seen by Windows 7 made the card work proper.

Defeats the point of having a 64 bit OS, guess its time to upgrade the card or deal with less RAM.

AScott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 12, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Liquidtouch, it appears I might be having the same problem. However, can you please clarify, does the RAM have to be LESS than 4GB and not equal to 4GB? In other words, I have exactly 4GB on my system and so I am trying to work out if this the problem.

Also how did you decrease the amount of RAM seen by Windows 7? Did you physically remove the RAM or did you do it via the BIOS. This might be a temporary fix for me until I can get a new card.

Thanks,

TheMerovingian

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2004
    Kaufbaire
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Just start msconfig, check advanced options in the second tab "start".
    Check the box "maximum memory" and write in there 4095 instead of 4096 ;-)
    Solved the problem for me.
    Unfortunately I use the german version of Windows so I am not sure whether my translations are absolutely correct.

Liquidtouch

Portal Pro
    February 25, 2007
    Victoria, BC Canada
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Just checked my English Windows 7:

Click Start
    Type "msconfig" in the run box and press enter
    Click the "Boot" tab
    Click "Advanced Options"
    Check "Maximum Memory"
    Set the amount to less than 4 Gigs ie: 4095

I had three sticks of Ram at the time I just physically took a stick out. Another alternative would be to create a Ram Drive with the "extra" Ram and use that to host your page file. I read an article somewhere that showed how to do that and had benchmarks showing that it was beneficial. Sadly I lost it and cant find it. Of course if you only have 4 gigs there wouldn't be much space.

AScott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 12, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for the fast response TheMerovingian and LiquidTouch. I tried using msconfig option and it worked perfectly! Simple and I didnt have to buy a new tuner card :)

Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom