Win 7, MP1.1RC1, and Emprex remote (2 Viewers)

fesarius

March 19, 2010
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Can anyone help me with my remote control woes? I've been trying to make the switch from Windows Media Centre to Mediaportal for a few months now but I keep hitting brick walls. I believe everything is working now apart from my remote.

It is an Emprex 3009URF MCE Remote that works perfectly in Windows Media Centre. I have selected 'Use MCE remote' and 'Use HID Device' in mediaportal, which gets most of the keys working - it's just important one's like the Guide, Live TV, Info, Back etc that don't work now. When selecting 'Use MCE remote' only, it only the Up, Down, Left, Right, OK buttons that work.

I would be really grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction, as I desperately want to convert to Mediaportal :)

MediaPortal Version: 1.1RC1
MediaPortal Skin: N/A
Windows Version: Windows 7
CPU Type: Ion 330
HDD:
Memory:
Motherboard:
Video Card:
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card:
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: WinFast DVB stick
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote: Emprex 3009URF MCE Remote
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection: Single seat

AIstudio

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 27, 2007
    Blackpool
    Home Country
    Hi fesarius,
    Although i have never used your remote i feel that the program that may solve your issues is IRSS (or IR server suite).
    I used to use IRSS a LOT over recent years with MP because of its ability to remap etc etc etc. Now that i am on win7 and the latest MP all i do these days is to put a tick in the MCE remote in MP config and all is good for me.
    Have a look here and a good read and maybe post a question in the IRSS forum.
    Hope this helps or at least gets you on the road to success :)

Regards

Kev

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    It is an Emprex 3009URF MCE Remote that works perfectly in Windows Media Centre

How is the remote recognised in device manager, does it exist using the ehome ir receiver category as in picture, if so hardwareID required, so it can be aded to the remote list found in user files.

sshot-1.jpgsshot-2.jpg

niblet

Portal Pro
    October 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Can anyone help me with my remote control woes? I've been trying to make the switch from Windows Media Centre to Mediaportal for a few months now but I keep hitting brick walls. I believe everything is working now apart from my remote.

It is an Emprex 3009URF MCE Remote that works perfectly in Windows Media Centre. I have selected 'Use MCE remote' and 'Use HID Device' in mediaportal, which gets most of the keys working - it's just important one's like the Guide, Live TV, Info, Back etc that don't work now. When selecting 'Use MCE remote' only, it only the Up, Down, Left, Right, OK buttons that work.

I would be really grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction, as I desperately want to convert to Mediaportal :)

I have exactly the same setup as you, I'm using the shorcut'er plugin (it's a process plugin) which allows you to jump to any part of media portal by a key press along with Event Ghost to map the rest of the keys on the remote to the key presses set up in shortcut'er.

I have all my media buttons set to a different section/plugin and can use the green button to launch mediaportal or use it to go back to the home screen

Event Ghost is free and if you want to use it, let me know if you want my config file / shortcut'er config :D

fesarius

March 19, 2010
    Home Country
    Hi niblet, thanks for the reply.

I remember trying to get Eventghost working a while ago with no success, and have just tried again. I've enabled the generic usb and mediaportal plugins in eventghost, but no events show up in the event log when pressing keys on my remote - so I can't map any events to actions. I'm sure i've probably set it up wrong, so I would appreciate it if you could share your config files with me :)

Thanks!

edit:
    Ah ha! I've now got the remote buttons mapped in Eventghost to the actions in the mediaportal plugin (I had 3 choices of device when adding the generic HID plugin and had to select all of them, as each one seemed to respond to different groups of buttons).

Here's a step by step guide in case anyone else has the same issue:

* Install EventGhost
    * Load it up and create a new setup by going to File > New.
    * Click on the add plugins button and add your corresponding remote plugin (MCE remote, or General HID).
    * Select each instance of your device in the plugin's configuration, and add a plugin for each one.
    * Add the Mediaportal plugin to Eventghost.
    * If you have selected the correct remote plugin, button presses will show up in the log on the left hand side.
    * Expand the Mediaportal folder in Eventghost and for each Macro in here, press the relevant remote button and drag the log entry accross to the macro to assign the button press to that action.
    * I then had to install MessagePlugin for mediaportal (MediaPortal - Mediacenter - - Message Plugin) which passes the remote presses from eventghost to mediaportal.

This should now work when you fire up mediaportal. I hope to see Mediaportal work as seamlessly as Windows Media Centre in the future, which just works as soon as you open it. But I don't envy the developers, these remotes are a pain as they all handle differently.

Thanks to the above posters, and hope this helps anyone else that gets lost in the world of remote configuration!

p4cm4n

Portal Member
    December 31, 2009
    Home Country

I remember trying to get Eventghost working a while ago with no success, and have just tried again. I've enabled the generic usb and mediaportal plugins in eventghost, but no events show up in the event log when pressing keys on my remote - so I can't map any events to actions. I'm sure i've probably set it up wrong, so I would appreciate it if you could share your config files with me :)

Thanks!

edit:

* Click on the add plugins button and add your corresponding remote plugin (MCE remote, or General HID).
    * Select each instance of your device in the plugin's configuration, and add a plugin for each one.

Great guide fella, stuck on the above bit though. What do you mean by:

Select each instance of your device in the plugin's configuration, and add a plugin for each one.?

Thanks.

bob_harris

July 24, 2010
    When you add the Generic HID plugin (the Emprex remote is a Generic HID, even though it is MCE certified) you will see the below dialog. Select the first, click OK. Add another Generic HID plugin and select the second and so on until you have a plugin for each instance of your remote (I have 3 instances so I have 3 plugins)

Attachments

• hid.png
      hid.png
      79.1 KB

colossus-x

Portal Member
    December 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland

Thanks!

edit:
    Ah ha! I've now got the remote buttons mapped in Eventghost to the actions in the mediaportal plugin (I had 3 choices of device when adding the generic HID plugin and had to select all of them, as each one seemed to respond to different groups of buttons).

Here's a step by step guide in case anyone else has the same issue:

* Install EventGhost
    * Load it up and create a new setup by going to File > New.
    * Add the Mediaportal plugin to Eventghost.
    * If you have selected the correct remote plugin, button presses will show up in the log on the left hand side.
    * Expand the Mediaportal folder in Eventghost and for each Macro in here, press the relevant remote button and drag the log entry accross to the macro to assign the button press to that action.
    * I then had to install MessagePlugin for mediaportal (MediaPortal - Mediacenter - - Message Plugin) which passes the remote presses from eventghost to mediaportal.

This should now work when you fire up mediaportal. I hope to see Mediaportal work as seamlessly as Windows Media Centre in the future, which just works as soon as you open it. But I don't envy the developers, these remotes are a pain as they all handle differently.

Thanks to the above posters, and hope this helps anyone else that gets lost in the world of remote configuration!

Hi, could you send me your config file to set this up I'd be most grateful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom