[confirm] WinAmp Visualizations (eg, MilkDrop) Cause MP 1.1RC2 to Freeze During Launch (1 Viewer)

neverness

Portal Member
October 28, 2007
Home Country
MediaPortal Version: 1.1.0.0RC2
MediaPortal Skin: Blue3wide
Windows Version: Windows 7 32-bit
CPU Type: Intel
HDD: Samsung HD501LJ x 1
Memory: 2GB
Motherboard: Intel DG33TL
Video Card: nVidia 7600GS
Video Card Driver: nVidia 8.16.11.9107
Sound Card: On-Board
Sound Card AC3: Optical Out (from On-Board Sound)
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: AverMedia Duo Hybrid
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T & Analog
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card: DigitalNow Dual Hybrid PCI-E S2
2. TV Card Type: DVB-T & Analog
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: MPV
MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPA
h.264 Video Codec: ffdshow
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case: Antec NSK2480
Cooling: Scythe Ninja-Mini, SFlex-D
Power Supply:
Remote: MCE
TV: Sony Bravia 46"
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

When MilkDrop 2.0 or 2.0c are enabled as the visualization module, MediaPortal 1.1RC2 freezes on launch 98% of the time. Very rarely, it actually loads, but nearly always it freezes with a blank/black MilkDrop window open. For previous versions of MediaPortal (with the same versions of MilkDrop), the black MilkDrop window would appear for a moment then vanish, but with 1.1RC2 it doesn't get past that. The splash screen freezes on "Loading window plugins".

Here are my installation notes for MilkDrop, in case I've done something wrong:

- Install WinAmp 5.51, to get MilkDrop 2.0c
- Copy vis_milk2.dll to the MediaPortal\MusicPlayer\plugins\visualizations folder
- Copy the presets to MediaPortal\MusicPlayer\plugins\visualizations\Milkdrop2
- Copy nscrt.dll to the root MediaPortal folder
- Copy the milk2.ini file to MediaPortal\plugins\plugins\milk2.ini (yes, with the double "plugins" folder... that seems to be an error, but if you put the config file there, it works! Or at least, it used to, as of MediaPortal 1.0.2, which was the last version I tried when MilkDrop was known to work.)

Note, the version of MilkDrop that is currently shipped with the latest WinAmp version is 2.2, however this produces an error message in MediaPortal, and can't be loaded or configured. To get MilkDrop 2.0c you need WinAmp 5.51, a quick search for winamp551_full_emusic-7plus_en-us.exe will give you a few places to get it.

Logs are attached. Although I usually run a fair few plugins and custom skins, for the logging I was sure to use only Blue3wide and the standard plugins. All custom plugins were disabled, by hand. (Looking forward to the RC3 debug logging helper!!)

Thanks, and love your work!

-- Neverness

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom