Operating System Windows 7: 32bit or 64bit? (1 Viewer)

Mister Bean

Portal Pro
June 30, 2008
Lelystad
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hello,

I'm planning to install Windows 7 64 bit as OS on my HTPC. I know that MP is a 32 bit application. Are there any disadvantages in relation to MP1.1 when Windows 7 64 bit is used? Or is it better to use the 32 bit version?

Thanks in advance fot the replies.

Regards,
Nico

Mew

Portal Pro
January 11, 2007
Hertfordshire
Home Country
England England
Hi Mister Bean

As long as you have the drivers for all your hardware there shouldn't be a problem.

I have been using MediaPortal on Windows Vista x64 and then Windows 7 x64 since October without any issues.

One thing that I think is necessary is to use 32 bit versions of Codecs rather than 64 bit versions (as MediaPortal is 32 bit).

Mew

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    My TV server is W7 64bit, but that's just the server, the clients I have are both W7 32bit. Both a dedicated to being MP clients, have 4GB RAM or less and really don't need to be 64bit at all. I figured it was just easier to have them 32bit.

Hodor

Portal Member
    September 5, 2008
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    As long as MP is 32bits and cannot really use the 64 bit features, I would say stick with 32bit.

Unless you use the server for something else that benefit from 64bit :)

damaster

Portal Pro
    November 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Thinking of upgrading my HTPC which is currently running Vista x86 to Windows 7. Can't decide whether I should go with x86 or x64 version of Windows 7.

MP is a 32-bit application, so will it run better on a 32-bit OS? Why can't I compile MP as a 64-bit application myself using VS2008?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom