Windows 7 64bit dropping frames in HD with MP 1.1.0 RC1 (1 Viewer)

josch.hh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 29, 2008
    Hamburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    MediaPortal Version: 1.1.0 RC1
    MediaPortal Skin: Black Glass
    Windows Version: Windows 7 64bit
    CPU Type: AMD Athlon 4850e
    HDD: Samsung SpinPoint M5S HM160HI
    Memory: 4GB DDR2-800
    Motherboard: Asus M3N78-EM
    Video Card: Nvidia 8300 onboard
    Video Card Driver: 190
    Sound Card: Onboard Realtek ALC1200
    Sound Card AC3:
    Sound Card Driver: 2.14
    1. TV Card: Technotrendt S2-3200
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-S
    1. TV Card Driver: 5.0.1.8
    MPEG2 Video Codec: PowerDVD 9
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPC
    h.264 Video Codec: PowerDVD 9
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: Astra 19.2°E
    HTPC Case: Silverstone GD02
    Cooling: Scythe Big Shuriken
    Power Supply: Seasonic S12II-330
    Remote: MCE Remote
    TV: Philips Aurea 42PFL9903H/10
    TV - HTPC Connection: Hdmi

Just installed Windows 7 64bit with MP 1.1.0 RC1 and got a mysterious issue.
    I have a HDTV file with H.264 and AC3...

1.) If i render this file with Graphstudio everything is fine and playable without dropping frames. (See screenshots)

2.) If i start playing the same file in MP 1.1.0 RC1 then half of the frames were dropped. The Graph isn't completly the same, but the major components like splitter, video and audio codec are. (See screenshots)

Can someone please help me with this. Cause it is the same case with Watching TV with MP. SD channel work fine, HD channels are dropping frames.
    I check against rendering the same MP timeshift file in graphedit... What can i say, in graphedit everything runs fine!

BTW. If i start any HD file or watch HD channel the complete (windows desktop, and all other) screen starts to flicker (for testing i use MP in window mode)

I never experienced this with MP 1.02 on my vista machine.

Please help.

Attachments

• Graph-withoutMP.png
      Graph-withoutMP.png
      75.1 KB
    • EVR-withoutMP.png
      EVR-withoutMP.png
      38.3 KB
    • Graph-withMP.png
      Graph-withMP.png
      98.8 KB
    • EVR-withMP.png
      EVR-withMP.png
      31.4 KB
    • mp-log-video.zip
      30.6 KB

ainvar

Portal Member
    July 8, 2006
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    I have exactly the same issue with mediaportal. Using MPC-HC I have to select EVR presenter to avoid drooped frames with 1080p material. When I select EVR CUSTOM presenter I have the same problemas than with media portal. I have windows 64x too but with an ati card hd3200 and 10.3 driver.

josch.hh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 29, 2008
    Hamburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Windows 7 64bit dropping frames in HD with MP 1.1.0 RC1

Good to hear that i am not the only one.

Meanwhile i tested some other video codecs. I had to use the Windows 7 Codec Tweaker tool to force Windows (and MP) to use different codecs but the MS codecs which came with Windows 7... The MS codecs for video are even used if i select others in the MP codecs config selection mask.
    Anyway with the Tweaker can am now able to use other video codecs.

And ..... the effects are than same whatever video codec or splitter/demuxer or audio codec I try. Still always droppping frames only under MP, not in graphedit nor in standard Windows Media Player.

I have the feeling that the MP eats up some graphic power, even enough that frames are dropped using DXVA on HD stuff.
    -> It is still not the case with SD.

So maybe with the new MP and Windows 7 64bit it seems that some lower power graphic cards like my Nvidia 8300 or your ATI 3200 are overcharged.

ainvar
    Do you have the chance to try a "more heavy" grahic card... i currently don't know where to get one?

josch.hh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 29, 2008
    Hamburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: Windows 7 64bit dropping frames in HD with MP 1.1.0 RC1

RC2 will have much better results with lower end GPUs (8300 / 3200). Hopefully it solves the issue.

Thanks, what did you change concerning this...?

I am still testing and in between i would bet ten bottles of best whiskey that the issue really is the power of the graphics board.
    I switched from EVR to VMR which should definitely make no use of DXVA ... and voila nearly no more frames drop and CPU at full speed (this combination is only still droping frames, cause of my low power cpu).

I really hope that my new Clarkdale i530 will be much better in graphics then my Nvidia onbaord 8300... has anyone some experiences with it?

@tourettes
    BTW what is that "Line 21 Decoder 2" good for?

ainvar

Portal Member
    July 8, 2006
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    I have a 4890 but cant test this week becouse im going to travel.

BTW i dont understand why with mpc-hc with evr i have good performance and with evr custom no. With vmr9 in xp my card hd3200 did a very good work, so i thing that something is very wrong with evr in windows 7 (or with the ati drivers or with the implementation in mediaportal and mpc-hc of evr). Is not logical that with a laptop (with xp and a x1900 card) i can play any content with media portal and with my htpc NO.

Anyway i want to give many thanks to devs for the hard work.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Re: AW: Re: Windows 7 64bit dropping frames in HD with MP 1.1.0 RC1

RC2 will have much better results with lower end GPUs (8300 / 3200). Hopefully it solves the issue.

Thanks, what did you change concerning this...?

I am still testing and in between i would bet ten bottles of best whiskey that the issue really is the power of the graphics board.
    I switched from EVR to VMR which should definitely make no use of DXVA ... and voila nearly no more frames drop and CPU at full speed (this combination is only still droping frames, cause of my low power cpu).

I really hope that my new Clarkdale i530 will be much better in graphics then my Nvidia onbaord 8300... has anyone some experiences with it?

EVRhas extra texture copy step (to overcome some buggy ATI drivers). That causes too much stress for lower end GPUs and HD material. VMR9 didn't need such hack since it is software based in Vista & Windows 7.

0002748: Remove ATI flickering hack - MediaPortal Bugtracker

@tourettes
    BTW what is that "Line 21 Decoder 2" good for?

Closed captions (mainly US TV / DVD).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom