[no Bug] Windows 7 Aero reduces fps = Stuttering Video/TV (1 Viewer)

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I am posting this because I have seen so many reports about stuttering playback.

When I installed Windows 7 64 bit, I had huge problems stuttering. When checking my fps (I just used the low tech option of looking in Settings/Screen Setup/Scroll Speed) I noticed my fps was dropping from 60 to 30 at regular intervals.

It took me ages to figure out that Aero has changed in Windows 7 and was reducing my fps according to it's own logic!

Originally this happened on my computer monitor due to a faulty sidebar gadget.

However, it always occurs on my 1080P HDTV which I run as a secondary monitor. On the web, there are many such reports of problems using Aero and secondary (multiple) monitors in all kinds of situations.

Initially I just turned off Aero (right click desktop, Personalize, and select Windows Basic Theme). Then I found I could use an Aero Theme but just disable Transparency (select Window Color and uncheck the Enable Transapency Box). Both solutions completely resolved my stuttering problems in Videos and TV.

No doubt this will not solve everyone's issues, but hopefully it will work for some of you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom