[fixed] Windows 7 Master Volume Control (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdrom17

Portal Member
March 24, 2007
MediaPortal Version: 1.1.0 RC 1
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP 0.9.976
Windows Version: Windows 7 Ultimate x86
CPU Type: AMD Athlon X2 4400+
HDD: 80GB Maxtor IDE
Memory: 2x1GB + 2x512MB DDR-400
Motherboard: ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Video Card: EVGA GeForce 7900GTO
Video Card Driver: 196.21
Sound Card: Auzentech HDA Xplosion
Sound Card AC3: AC3Filter?
Sound Card Driver: 6.12.8.1738
1. TV Card: None
MPEG2 Video Codec: Microsoft
MPEG2 Audio Codec: Microsoft
h.264 Video Codec: DivX h.264
Satelite/CableTV Provider: N/A
HTPC Case: Thermaltake
Cooling: Arctic Freezer 64
Power Supply: Enermax 535W
Remote: Mediagate Windows Vista MCE Infrared Remote Control
TV: Sony Bravia 40"
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI-to-HDMI

I was hoping this would of been fixed in the RC1, but I guess not. Had the same issue with Beta 1 as well.

So the problem is that the volume settings do not control the actual "master" volume at the OS level. It only controls the volume within MP which isn't exactly what I want, nor does it seem to offer the same range of control. The remote works fine and controls the Windows volume when MP is closed, only once MP is open and in focus, the issue happens.

The reason why I need this is because my setup is a bit odd. I have normal PC speakers hooked up to it, which doesn't have a remote, so I need volume control via the OS as I prefer not getting up to change the dial on the speakers. I also pipe my TV's audio through my HTPC and out the PC Speakers, which has far louder volume than what is outputted in MP, so I need to turn down the volume at the OS level. With MP running, that simply isn't possible.

Hopefully it's feasible to fix this. Thanks.

bugmenot

Portal Pro
January 13, 2007
I would say then you just should remap the volumecontrolls of your remote. I think it is much better to have MP controlle its own volume. I hate it with win Mediacenter e.g. When all programms would do it on the os, you would not hear what you want.

milanp

Portal Member
April 22, 2004
Skopje
Home Country
If your remote controls the master volume outside of Mediaportal try this:

1. Configure Mediaportal->General->volume settings->Control-> Master volume
2. Right click on mediaportal.exe ->mediaportal properies->compatibility->check Run this program in compatibility mode
Select Windows XP Sp3

On my configuration using Microsoft MCE remote and Windows 7/x64 remote controls the master volume from within Mediaportal.
Have not tried this with RC1, but with previous SVN's it worked perfectly.

MLH01

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    Australia Australia

2. Right click on mediaportal.exe ->mediaportal properies->compatibility->check Run this program in compatibility mode
    Select Windows XP Sp3

On my configuration using Microsoft MCE remote and Windows 7/x64 remote controls the master volume from within Mediaportal.
    Is it necessary to set MP compatibility to XP SP3 now? I am using Win7 x86 without changing compatibility settings and it runs fine (barring a few minor glitches).

I do however set the volume to 'Master volume' as you have described, which seems to work better than the wav setting.

MLH01.

jdrom17

Portal Member
    March 24, 2007
    I would say then you just should remap the volumecontrolls of your remote. I think it is much better to have MP controlle its own volume. I hate it with win Mediacenter e.g. When all programms would do it on the os, you would not hear what you want.
    Remap it how and to what? Within the MP config, I see no possible way to remap the volume keys on the remote to control Windows.

Select Windows XP Sp3

I have mine set like that, other than using compatibility mode. Still doesn't actually control the OS volume, as I put it down on 0, opened MP and wasn't able to get any volume.

milanp

Portal Member
    April 22, 2004
    Skopje
    Home Country

Select Windows XP Sp3

Is it necessary to set MP compatibility to XP SP3 now? I am using Win7 x86 without changing compatibility settings and it runs fine (barring a few minor glitches).

I do however set the volume to 'Master volume' as you have described, which seems to work better than the wav setting.

MLH01.
    W7 handles master volume controls in different way to XP.
    That's why mediaportal controls the master volume in XP and not in windows 7.
    So to sum it up, I have not found other way.
    On the other hand, EVR works, and everything else works OK in XP compatibility mode.
    I did not notice any differences comparing W7 native and XP compatibility mode.

jdrom17

Portal Member
    March 24, 2007
    Compatibility mode didn't seem to help for me...

Still doesn't do what I want, that is to control the OS volume directly, effectively the same as clicking the speaker icon and dragging the slider up and down.

tomsl

Portal Member
    September 2, 2009
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    i have the same problem with the new rc1. every time that i select wave volume(because i have the spdif out) and press ok. the selection goes up to master volume and i can control the volume in mediaportal

i have just solved.

open mediaportal.xml in "C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\mediaportal.xml

<section name="volume">
    <entry name="handler">4</entry>
    <entry name="startupstyle">0</entry>
    <entry name="digital">no</entry>

change in
    <entry name="digital">yes</entry>

everytime that i open mediaportal configuration, i have to do this manually.

riksmith

Portal Pro
    April 18, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    6be21cc66e54c339d1f86a19d4e2a678.png

How to gather log files
    How to show System Specs
    How to start support/bug thread

Although these are not added: 0002762: Volumecontrol for master volume does not work in windows 7 - MediaPortal Bugtracker

TakeOver79

Portal Member
    January 2, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Also have this problem. Worked in the beta and for a week in 1.1 RC. Controls stopped all of a sudden, OSD appeared but volume controls didn't alter the volume (mute doesn't work either). After a restart, OSD is not even showing up. Windows 7 x86.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom