[Windows 7] SPDIF: DTS-ES & Dolby EX (1 Viewer)

xadox

Portal Pro
August 18, 2005
Home Country
Germany Germany
Yesterday I was trying to watch some movies whitch have DTS-ES or Dolby EX sound on it. For the sound output I am using windows 7 / ION spdif and a pioneer receiver.
Actualy I get sound but my receiver thinks that the DTS-ES & Dolby EX tracks are only normal DTS & Dolby tracks.
Is the windows / ION spdif driver capable of passing through DTS-ES & Dolby EX tracks?

--
MediaPortal Version
: 1.1.0 Beta
MediaPortal Skin
: default wide
Windows Version
: Windows 7
CPU Type
: Intel Atom 330
HDD
: Promise 8350
Memory
: Kingston
Motherboard
: NVIDIA ION
Video Card
: NVIDIA ION
Sound Card AC3
: SPDIF
MPEG2 Video Codec
: Microsoft
MPEG2 Audio Codec
: SPDIF
h.264 Video Codec
: CoreAVC
Remote
: iMON

mr viggo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I'm on w7 and got an 8 year old Pio AVR. Just tried LOTR that has DTS-ES. Works fine and AVR tells me its DTS-ES. My discs are remuxed into one mkv if that makes any difference.

using AC3Filter

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    The AC3filter is limited to DTS. No DTS-HD. Try FFDShow in video postprocessing (latest version). It is capable of transmitting DTS-HD etc through SPDIF. Atleast that is what I read here and there. Don't have the proper hardware myself to try it. :)

You can try installing FFDShow yourself.
    Or if you arent that handy with codecs, you can install SAF like it is written in the first-post. It should work.

xadox

Portal Pro
    August 18, 2005
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: [Windows 7] SPDIF: DTS-ES & Dolby EX

Did I ever mention HD-Audio or Bitstreaming in this thread? Actualy I was asking for Dolby EX or DTS-ES Support?

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Did you mention DTS ES?

Same thing.

DTS = 5.1 (limit of AC3filter is 6 channels (<2mb/s)
    -------
    DTS ES = 6.1 (So this is 7ch+ from here on)
    DTS HD = 7.1+

Its in the manual.
    Main features:
    - Decomposition of any source to 6 channels

Second quote from AC3Filter website itself:
    "It is possible to upmix any audio source to 6 channels. "

[edit]
    Whuh? Got DTS ES working with ac3filter? I guess the information given above in links of ac3 etc is outdated, or is <2mbit signal or something. If it worked previously, it should just work. Never mind this post in that case.
    It could be AC3filter automatically re-encodes to 5.1 once it detects the bandwith is to big for the SPDIF stream?

mr viggo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Still, Ac3filter does passthrough DTS-ES to my AVR. If someone can give me a tip of an old DVD title that has Dolby EX I would gladly go find it in the closet and test that one too.

xadox, have you successfully sent DTS-ES to your AVR from another device before. I don't see why the ION would not send these formats, It's just a compressed digital stream through optical/coax which the AVR takes care of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom