Operating System Windows 7 "Starter Edition" looking like a good prospect for HTPC use (1 Viewer)

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    From DownloadSquad, posted Today.

The team of Microsoft developers working on Windows 7 have written a blog post spelling out exactly what features will and will not be available in Windows 7 Starter Edition. And the company has decided to drop one of the most talked-about restrictions: the ability to run just three applications at once. You'll now be able to run as many programs as your computer's limited RAM will allow. We first saw rumors that the company would drop this restriction last week, but today it's official.

Microsoft has been making "Starter" versions of its operating systems since Windows XP. But in the past, these editions were only sold in the developing world. Windows 7 Starter is the first to be available in developed countries like the United States. The goal is to give netbook makers a cheaper alternative to Windows 7 Home Premium to include on low cost mini-laptops.
    Windows 7 Starter will cost significantly less than other versions of the operating system, but Microsoft wants to give customers an incentive to upgrade. Windows 7 Home Premium and Ultimate are perfectly capable of running on slower systems like netbooks. But you'll have to shell out some extra money to purchase them. If you do pick up a machine with Windows 7 Starter you'll have to live with the following restrictions:

• No Aero Glass effects
    • No ability to switch between users without logging off
    • Fewer personalization features (you won't be able to change desktop backgrounds, sound schemes, or window colors)
    • No support for multiple monitors
    • No DVD playback support (although I imagine you'll be able to add this with 3rd party software)
    • No Windows Media Center support
    • No support for streaming local media remotely over the internet
    • No domain support for business customers
    • XP Mode for running older programs is not included
    That list looks pretty long. But if you don't plan to use a netbook or other low-cost laptop for any of those things, Windows 7 Starter Edition will be offered to computer makers are at a discount to help keep computer prices down. You will not be able to wlak into a store and buy a standalone license for this version of Windows 7.

Source:Microsoft drops 3-app limit from Windows 7 Starter Edition

More info:Let?s talk about Windows 7 Starter - Windows 7 Team Blog - The Windows Blog

FantaXP7

Portal Pro
    February 3, 2009
    "No support for streaming local media remotely over the internet"

That means no network storage access? Also isn't Aero supposed to be good for picture quality?

This is interesting though

Imokles

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This
    • [...]
    • No support for multiple monitors
    • [...]
    is a showstopper for all those with HTPC cases containing secondary displays. Apart from that, it looks great!

gardnertina

August 13, 2009
    I like the aero interface/gui effects. To me the starter edition just comes with too many limitations, I think it would be best to get hold of a Home Premium copy. I don't see this being suitable for HTPC's seems like this is more of an OS for Netbooks.. Would be interesting to know what they mean exactly by no DVD playback support.... If this is just due to the software lacking or it's actually restricted, if it is then this is really of no use....It's ok for netbooks though since they dont even come with a dvd drive anyway (most).

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    And I don't think it'll be available unless you buy a technet subscription live you live in a "emerging market". Same for Home Basic.

drealit

Portal Pro
    March 15, 2008
    But who doesn't have a technet script these days :)? I do agree with starter being of no use due to the lack of aero. That alone makes it extremely limited for HTPC use.

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I didn't up untill a week or so ago, personally I'm aiming for "W7S" on my TV-server, but will run Home Premium on my HTPC I think, but might use Business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom