Windows 7 tvfix/dvbfix for MediaPortal, now for x86 and x64 Builds !!! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Win7

March 5, 2009
Home Country
Germany Germany
This fix isn´t needed anymore for MediaPortal 1.1.0 Alpha and following builds!

As many observed there are some problems with the tv-server or the inbuild tv-engine of mediaportal and windows 7. I was playing arround with the eval version of windows 2008 server, but that didn´t impress me much and it´s a bit to expensive for running a mediacenter on it :D
The server versions of windows don´t include bda support so you need the bdaforserver patch. There was no problem on the windows server machine with the vista bda. But i started asking me what will happen if i grab the bda of windows 7 and integrate that in windows server 2008. Well the first surprise was that it was basicly working!
But the tv-server had now the same problems like running it on windows 7.
After that i thought about integrating the vista bda in windows 7. That wasn´t easy but here it is:

For English Windows Builds: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=42521&stc=1&d=1245760801

For German Windows Builds: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=42522&stc=1&d=1245760801

Now even with x64 support, some updated files and a fixed "Setup BDA.bat" for x86. The old version was only working with windows 7 installed on drive C. I have that fix now running on my windows 7 machine with build 5057, but it should work with other builds, too! It works with the mediaportal 1.0, the latest svn and the disaster editions. Haven´t tested it with other mediaportal versions, would be to much work :D, but it should work with all mediaportal versions.

This is just the first version of the fix. So that means that can cause many trouble, therefore i recommend making a backup before applying that patch. I allready included the needed files from vista sp1 and some media center updates but you can also use the files of your own vista installation. Maybe interesting for testing the vista service pack 2 bda. There is even a backup and restore funktion included for the original bda of windows 7. For me there was no problem after some restarts but i don´t know when windows will restore the original files. Im sure you have to reapply the "setup bda.bat" after installing new tv hardware. So just test it but don´t blame me if it´s not working or crashing your system. I tested it and all problems were left. For me it solves even the problem that some recordings weren´t deleteable after watching them. With this fix i can even watch dvds stored on an external usb drive. I have running that patch now on two machines an scheduled more than 50 recordings. There were absolutely no problems. I have even done a stress test and recorded 26 channels at the same time. The tv-server needed only 10% cpu for that on an old pentium 4 3,2Ghz

I had to change the fix. That means you have to get the vista files by yourself. So first download the fix for your language and extract the archive. Then you have to copy the "bdaforserver" folder on the systemdrive of your vista machine. Ok now you placed that "bdaforserver" folder on your vista machine, the go to the "bdaforserver" folder and then in the "Setup For x64" or the "Setup For x86" depends on the build you use. Note if you use a x64 Windows 7 you need a x64 Windows Vista to get the needed files. For a x86 Windows 7 you need the x86 Windows Vista. Then you have to run the "Get BDA Vista Files.bat" after that copy the "bdaforserver" folder on the system drive of your windows 7 machine. Stop the TV-Server. Go again to the "Setup For xXX" folder, the same you have chosen above. First start the "Backup Win7 BDA.bat" that will create a backup of the original system files so can restore them later when needed via the "Restore Win7 BDA.bat". Then you can run the "Setup BDA.bat" to apply the fix. Now start the TV-Server again and you are done.

Well i am pretty sure you will loose nativ dvb-c and dvb-s support in windows media center but who needs mediacenter when you can have mediaportal? But i haven´t also testet this. I deinstalled windows media center at the first boot after setup :D

PS: Don´t use the MS codec in the 5057 build or later for HDTV that will cause the myTV plugin to hang at start. Even if you have no HD channels!

Helios61

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Win7!

I will make a new test with W7 next week! Big :D for your work!

I deinstalled windows media center at the first boot after setup :D

Is ist possible in Win7 to disable the MCE-Services? It would be much easier to setup the MCE-Remote!

Best regards

Helios

Win7

March 5, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    In the 5057 build you can deinstall the mediacenter complete over the control panel. Klick programs and there turn windows funktions on or off. Under media you will find the media center. Alternativ you can disable all windows media center services in the services configuration. Then you can prevent the mediacenter from running when you press the green button via the gpedit.msc! But i have to say if you disable or uninstall the windows media center changes nothing on the mce remote controls behaviour. But even for this is a fix available. Just figured out you can use the vista mce replacment driver and the ir server suite. So you can even start even MediaPortal with the green button :D
    You can also use the vista replacement driver and the replacement plugin for mediaportal if you don´t need the green-button-start-mediaportal funktion :D

Here is the vista replacement driver and mce replacement plugin

kostenlos Dateien hochladen bei File Upload X

Here you will find the IR Server Suite

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mce-replacement-plugin-165/ir-server-suite-version-1-0-4-1-1-4-2-test-build-2627-a-33512/?highlight=server+suite

Some important. You have to disable the automatic buttons in the ir-servers input service configuration. If you use the replacment plugin you even will have to do the same, you will find the replacement plugin under the mediaportal plugins configuration tab. If you don´t do that you will not be able to use all buttons because the remote is threaten as general hid device. And you have to disable the inbuild mce remote support! I use the IR Server because it´s newer and i found out that the replacement plugin has some bugs. If mediaportal is in background the plugin will crash. I also got the plugin crashed by using the remote of my beamer :D
    You should be able to use the original driver too by using the disable automatic buttons method but if you enable the general hid support some of the buttons will input double!

Win7

March 5, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ok testet it records fine even overlaping records have been done. And thanks to the fix i can even watch dvds directly from the harddrive :D

chinga69

Portal Pro
    October 27, 2007
    penrith
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    thanks

As many observed there are some problems with the tv-server or the inbuild tv-engine of mediaportal and windows 7. Yesterday i was playing arround with the eval version of windows 2008 server, but that didn´t impress me much and it´s a bit to expensive for running a mediacenter on it :D
    The server versions of windows don´t include bda support so you need the bdaforserver patch. There was no problem on the windows server machine with the vista bda. But i started asking me what will happen if i grab the bda of windows 7 and integrate that in windows server 2008. Well the first surprise was that it was basicly working!
    But the tv-server had now the same problems like running it on windows 7.
    After that i thought about integrating the vista bda in windows 7. That wasn´t easy but here it is:

SpeedShare - Download dvbfix7.zip

At moment this is only for the x86 builds of windows seven. I have that fix now running on my windows 7 machine with build 5057, but it should work with other builds, too! It works with the mediaportal 1.0 as even the latest svn. Haven´t tested it with other mediaportal versions, would be to much work :D, but it should work with all mediaportal versions.
    This is just the first version of the fix. So that means that can cause many trouble, therefore i recommend making a backup before applying that patch. I allready included the needed files from vista sp1 ( the eval you can download from microsoft ) but you can also use the files of your own vista installation. Maybe interesting for testing the sp2 bda. There is even a backup and restore funktion included for the original bda of windows 7. For me there was no problem after some restarts but i don´t know when windows will restore the original files. Im sure you have to reapply the "setup bda.bat" after installing new tv hardware. So just test it but don´t blame me if it´s not working ore crashing your system. I tested it and all problems were left. For me it solves even the problem that some recordings weren´t deleteable after watching them. I scheduled some recordings for today, will report about that later!

To apply that patch download the file, extract it, copy the bdaforserver folder on your c: drive of the windows 7 machine and follow the instructions in the readme file!

Well i am pretty sure you will loose nativ dvb-c and dvb-s support in windows media center but who needs mediacenter when you can have mediaportal? But i haven´t also testet this. I deinstalled windows media center at the first boot after setup :D

hi thanks very much for the fix much appreciated any chance you can do the same for 64bit

cheers brad

Win7

March 5, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well at moment the greatest problem is the vista x64 version because i need the files but you can´t download a vista x64 eval from ms.
    But i´m working on it!

I recorded 26 Channels at the same time on a pentium 4 3,2Ghz machine with about 10% cpu usage :eek:

Windows Seven and MP are now the greatest team i have ever seen!

chinga69

Portal Pro
    October 27, 2007
    penrith
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Well at moment the greatest problem is the vista x64 version because i need the files but you can´t download a vista x64 eval from ms.
    But i´m working on it!

I recorded 26 Channels at the same time on a pentium 4 3,2Ghz machine with about 10% cpu usage :eek:

Windows Seven and MP are now the greatest team i have ever seen!

ok thanks again

cheers brad

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Would it be better to put the same amount of effort into fixing the actual issue on TVE3 side than into hacking the OS itself? :p

Win7

March 5, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You´re right that would be better. I tried that first but, if you haven´t ever seen c# before like me im sure you will fail, like me :D My knowledge over the directshow system is a bit more that my knowledge over the tv-servers internals. And who cares if it´s working :D Well by the way with this fix i can watch DVDs stored on an external harddrive, too. And the can´t delele recordings problem is even gone. I´m just happy and feel like the king of the world :D
    Hmm download of vista servicepack finished time for doing some work on an x64 Patch!

mylle

Portal Pro
    April 14, 2005
    Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Does the same kinda fix exist for Windows home server or does i need one at all? I have MP running on whs but i am unsure is this patch would make it more stable?

thanks

Jacob

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom