Operating System windows 7 video problem (1 Viewer)

FantaXP7

Portal Pro
February 3, 2009
When I leave my computer, come back and try to turn my tv on there is no picture. All I can do is reset...

I would go back to using vista, however the picture quality with windows 7 mce and my ati digital cable tuner is much better with windows 7. Also, with vista, when I would change turn my tv on the resolutions would switch...so it's sort of a crappy scenario.

FantaXP7

Portal Pro
February 3, 2009
floepie thanks for the reply,

This looks real interesting. It seems as if I need to assign it to a key on my keyboard and hit that key when I see a blank screen?

If that is the way it works, is there a tutorial on how to do that?

thanks

floepie

Portal Pro
November 5, 2007
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Sure, download the EXE and just put it in your docs folder. Then, make a shortcut to it and keep it on your desktop. You need it there to assign a hotkey for it. In the shortcut's properties, you can assign a function key to it. I use F1.

So, when I've switched away from the PC input and back to the PC input, more often than not, I need to just hit F1 to refresh the "EDID data" that is lost. The ATI card believes that the monitor is disconnected permanently and just discards the EDID data. It's a simple fix, but ATI *still* has done nothing about it.

If it works for you, then please fill out this short form and make sure you mention "loss of EDID" in the problem section to keep ATI abreast of this....

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/CatalystCrewFeedback.aspx

Thanks.

FantaXP7

Portal Pro
February 3, 2009
floepie,

I have it working now thanks to your directions. I also went ahead and filled out that survey.

After programing the F1 key I tried it out and noticed my monitor would turn on and off when I hit it. I waited until this morning to try out when the symptoms occur and it didn't work. However, I did notice that the light on my mouse was inactive and that hitting the power buttons and reset button didn't work and ultimately I had to hit the power switch on my power supply. This must be some other problem that may or may not be related to that hand shake bug...

floepie

Portal Pro
November 5, 2007
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Keep in mind that the shortcut will only work while the user that has the shortcut on his/her desktop is logged on AND the desktop is visible. It won't work if either that user is not logged on or logged on even while the "fast user switcher" screen is shown that presents the user names of the PC for fast logons. That means that you will have to prevent your computer from "locking" itself to that "fast user switch" screen.

FantaXP7

Portal Pro
February 3, 2009
Ahh gotcha. Changed my power options to be always on for now, until this dumb bug gets fixed. Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom