Windows Media Player uses Nvidia PureVideo but MP does not (1 Viewer)

mrceolla

Portal Pro
December 11, 2010
Hello,

I'm running MP on Server 2008 R2 and I can not for the life of me figure out how to get MP to use the Nvideo PureVideo codec for all live and recorded TV. When I open up a TV-Server recorded program in Windows Media Player all is good. Playback is smooth and looks great. When I play the same file in Media Portal the picture doesn't look as good and there are stutters.

I have set MP to use the Nvidia decoder but it appears to refuse to do so. No tray icon appears like it does when I play the file in WMP.

I have tried lowering the merit of the MPC MPEG 2 decoder using DirectX Filter Manager and even went as far as changing the extenstion of .ax file so it couldn't load. I'm not sure MP is actually using the MPC decoder but it still does not appear to be using Nvidia's.

I've searched and searched but no solution yet. Maybe I'm not searching for the right thing.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mike

Some additional info:

I'm using an HDHomeRun

I'm also using CoreAVC and Haali. Those two kick in just fine when playing mkv files but I never see the tray icons playing anything else.

Yes I installed everything to get the TV tuner to work in 2008 R2. It is tuning and recording. The recordings look great in WMP but not so hot in MP. Although I can play the recorded .ts files in WMP, I can't play live TV in WMP via the HDHomeRun setup interface so I can't test to see if WMP is using PureVideo for a live TV stream.

How can I see what decoders/filters are currently in use? I know you can render a file in GraphEdit but I want to know what is currently happening in whatever player I'm using. Is that possible?

Please help.

Thanks.

mrceolla

Portal Pro
December 11, 2010
Hi gserg,

Sorry for the delay in reply. No, I have not gotten PureVideo to work. My HTPC project had been put on hold after I got robbed and no longer have a receiver to properly test my 5.1 audio and audio/video sync. I also seem to remember reading somewhere that PureVideo was outdated and not really the best way to go. I cannot relocate that information so take it with a grain of salt. If you happen to get it working, please post your resolution.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Looks like MediaPortal was using the NVidia decoder. From MediaPortal.log:

Code:
    2010-12-10 21:51:58.026698 [Info.][MPMain(1)]: TSReaderPlayer: Add codecs

2010-12-10 21:51:58.037440 [Info.][MPMain(1)]: VMR9: added EVR Renderer to graph

2010-12-10 21:51:58.286447 [Info.][MPMain(1)]: Added filter: NVIDIA Video Decoder to graph

2010-12-10 21:51:58.293283 [Info.][MPMain(1)]: Added filter: AC3Filter to graph

2010-12-10 21:51:58.295236 [Info.][MPMain(1)]: TSReaderPlayer: Render TsReader outputs

You can check what codecs MediaPortal is really using with GraphStudio (or GraphEdit) by connecting to MediaPortal's Directshow graph. To do that:

1. Open GraphStudio.
    2. Click file->connect to remote graph...
    3. Select the MediaPortal entry (trial and error if there is more than one entry in the list).
    4. Click connect.

I recall having read that Purevideo is not recommended as well. I'd recommend the Cyberlink (or FFDShow if you know what you're doing) codecs.

gserg: any particular reason why you want Purevideo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom