[WIP] How to: Optimize the music browsing in MP (1 Viewer)

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I often read people using "file"-viewing for MP's music part, and it always makes me wonder ....
    WHY?

It seems that the answer is that even experienced users find it difficult getting database-view going.
    This is the reason that I created - and will maintain - this thread.

Here is my tips for making music browsing in MP a delight:

1. Make sure your music files are properly tagged
    This is very important. I recommend that you use MTTagThat to make sure your music is tagged correctly. Use the MPTagThat Wiki if you need help.

2. Scan your music folder
    music database.png
    Make sure your music folders are listed
    Default settings are fine, but I recommend to use the auto-update function.

3. Get artwork for albums and artist
    Use the Audioscrobbler plugin in configuration-> plugins to get (additional) artist/album artwork (requires Last.fm account - free is fine).
    Sign up here -> https://www.last.fm/join . There is a link in the plugins main window as well. I think this part is intuitive enough.
    audioscrobbler.png
    PS: The Audioscrobbler plugin can automagically add similar (or other) music when using a playlist - so you'll never run out of songs!

4. Re-scan (to add new artwork)
    music database.png

5. Customize your views
    music views.png
    I always delete the (annoying) grouping. Here is how:
    - Select the ACT column for the grouped line.
    - Then hit [d] (delete). Do this for the rest of the views you want to remove the grouping for.

Set the "view as"-type (list, thumbs, filmstrip etc.) for each "selection" (artist, album, title etc.) and the "Views" that you will use.
    I set "view as" to list for everything, as it provide much info and easy navigation. Sometimes I do use the "albums" view, as it is bigger. What I choose is often skin dependent. You can also change view within MP GUI.

6. Customize what information is displayed ("sort" tab)
    Customizes how info is displayed. I like:
    [Track] [Title] - [Artist] | [Duration]
    This will show:
    11. Under The Bridge - Red Hot Chilli Peppers | 3:41
    I prefer this order, as I consider it more important to see the song name than artist.
    so song name is always displayed fully.
    Music sort.png

7. Enter MP and choose DB-view of your preference.
    I do like "Album artist".
    You can change the view types in MP as well.

8. Enjoy.

STUCK? Try the WIKI - it might answer your questions and opening your eyes for features you weren't aware of.
    LINK -> MediaPortal/Configuration/Music - MediaPortal Manual Documentation

This was rather "quick and dirty" - will refine when I find time!

Oh, and input is very welcome!

UPDATE: A more comprehensive guide has been made:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/listen-music-99/guide-music-section-mediaportal-77404/

Dr Tone

Portal Pro
    October 29, 2008
    Calgary, AB
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Is there a way to display track number without having the discnumber automatically appended to the beginning of it?

I need disc numbers for various reasons and cannot remove the tag so that isn't an option...

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    how can i set the view so i get a list of albums and not a list of letters A, B, C, ..... and inside the albums ??

thanks !!

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Step 5 from the guide above. removing the grouping in the albums view

right, i thought it was that but looks like i did something wrong :oops:

ill try again thanks

wow I think i deserve some kind of punishment for that, it was too easy the second time :sorry: x trillion times.

I will stop breathing for some seconds to learn the lesson:eek::mad: hahaha

:D

Imokles

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have my music files on a network share which is updated from a separate computer while the HTPC is switched off. "Monitor changes in share" does not seem to recognize this.
    Is there a way to initiate a DB update automatically or do I have to manually update my HTPC database each time I add files? If yes, what would be the most efficient way of doing this?
    I know there is a "Automatic music DB reorg " plugin, but this does not wake up my HTPC from standby...?

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    "Monitor changes in share" of course only works, if the HTPC is running, while updating the network shares.

Yes, "Music DB reorg" DOES wake up the pc from standby. You can configure the wakeup times in the plugin.

Imokles

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yes, "Music DB reorg" DOES wake up the pc from standby. You can configure the wakeup times in the plugin.
    No, I'm afraid it doesn't on my HTPC. Or is there another setting apart from the schedule I can configure directly in the "music DB reorg" plugin?
    Anyway, good to know that is is supposed to wake up the PC. Maybe it is some misconfiguration in my HTPC's bios or WinXP settings. I'll investigate further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom