[WIP] How to: Optimize the music browsing in MP (2 Viewers)

robcarter

Portal Pro
February 19, 2010
Home Country
England England
Hi

how do I get compilation albums to display as one album, if I select the album view i get each track of a compilation album listed as a separate album.
Also several albums seem to be duplicated, ie one title in lowercase the other in upper case!, is this because of duplicate tags maybe?

thanks rob carter

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    use the AlbumArtist tag for your compilations. the individual tracks contain the real artist in the ARtist tag and the AlbumArtist has the compilation name.

if you don't do that and you have the "Track tracks in an individual folder as album" option set, then we automatically set "Various Artists" as the AlbumArtist.

As long as your albums tags contain the same chars they are treated as the same album regardless of the case.

robcarter

Portal Pro
    February 19, 2010
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi

thanks for your reply, I have nearly 8000 tracks in my collection so adding in the artistalbum tag is not a trivial task - also a lot of my tracks only have the id3 V1 tags which do not include the albumartist tag.
    Could someone explain to a newbie why adding another tag should make the compilation sorting easier, windows media center, with all it faults, seems to manage to display compilations without any extra tags. Why can't mediaportal do this?
    thanks for your help
    rob

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    robcarter, to make a good music collection better it has to be tagged correct & that work just have to be done, said that MPTagThat can help you with it, but in the end it's up to you (not all of your 8000 files have to be tagged with own AlbumArtist, just those album where different artists/band occurs like in Mixtapes etc, for the others it's enough for MPTagThat to copy Album name) ;)

Regards
    Roy

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom