Witch Matrix LCD for my HTPC? (1 Viewer)

DaFixer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 26, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi i'm looking for a good matrix lcd screen for my HTPC, I have already found some nice lcd's:D.

BLK202A-WB-BK
    Matrix Orbital Serial LCD & USB LCD modules, Serial Graphic LCD Interface, Serial VFD & USB VFD modules, Serial PLED & USB PLED displays and Parallel LCD displays

GX Typhoon MCE
    Matrix Orbital Serial LCD & USB LCD modules, Serial Graphic LCD Interface, Serial VFD & USB VFD modules, Serial PLED & USB PLED displays and Parallel LCD displays

But the question is wil those matrix lcd's work whit media portal?
    and can i use it for displaying MP things like:
    VOL status (when i pres the +/- buttem)
    Music name/timeing
    Movie name/timeing
    DVD timing
    DVD tray open/close

I hope you guy's can help my;)

cybrmage

Portal Pro
    May 30, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    They will work with MediaPortal and the CybrDisplay plugin HERE

The BLK series is a serial version of the hardware in the MX series of displays... (the driver even handles the function buttons!)

The GX Typhoon will work... but the integrated IR receiver will currently only function with Windows Vista...

DaFixer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 26, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Wil the GX typoon normal version work whit CybrDisplay plugin?
    becase, whem i buy the blk series i wont use the buttems, then is the GX typoon a better option for my?

cybrmage

Portal Pro
    May 30, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    GX typoon normal version

Normal version??? There is not "Normal" version.... There is only one version of the display... and it is sold as four variants

1) GX Typhoon with Inverse Blue backlight, no Remote control included
    2) GX Typhoon with Inverse Blue backlight, Remote control included
    3) GX Typhoon with tri-color backlight, no Remote control included
    4) GX Typhoon with tri-color backlight, Remote control included

I have the tri-color version... The two versions are identical otherwise... Which is better is a matter of personal preference (the tri-color and Inverse Blue displays are being sold at the same price)... The driver will work with either version (except the backlight control is programmed for the tri-color... If I ever get any feedback from someone with an inverse blue display, I'll update the driver)

is the GX typoon a better option

It depends on what you want from the display....

The MX series (including the BLK/VK/LK/PK displays) are character LCDs...
    The GX Series is a graphical LCD...

The character LCDs are good devices for basic text display... they provide excellent brightness and contrast... Although you may want to look at the MX212 instead of the BLK202A, as the BLK202A has a Serial interface, and most recent motherboards do not include a serial port... The MX212 is the same device but has a USB interface. Most of the

For the equalizer display, they do work but the display is segmented (each individual character position has a margin around it...

The GX series is also a good display... very good contrast and excelent brightness.... and has a resolution of 240 by 64... This allows for much more flexibility with what is displayed... The driver divided the screen area into a 48 by 200 text display area (used too display text indicating what MediaPortal is doing and for the Equalizer display) , two 200 by 8 graphics areas (used for volume and progress bars) and a 32 by 64 graphic area (used to display status icons)...

The IR receiver in the GX Typhhon only functions with Windows Vista... but it can be disabled to allow use of a MCE receiver...

Which is better is, again, a matter of personal preference... (My personal preference is the GX Typhoon)...

DaFixer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 26, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thanks for the info cybrmage!!
    I wil save money for the GX typoon display :D

But now my last question:

Witch model of the GX serie's can i best buy if i want read the text on the display in a dark room?

Mastakilla

March 11, 2008
    They will work with MediaPortal and the CybrDisplay plugin HERE

The BLK series is a serial version of the hardware in the MX series of displays... (the driver even handles the function buttons!)

The GX Typhoon will work... but the integrated IR receiver will currently only function with Windows Vista...

Thanx for your help, needed one:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom