Motherboard Chipset: MSI KM4M
Video Card: ATI Radeon 8500
Video Card Driver: Catalyst 6.14
Video Card Resolution: 800x600
Video Codec Type & Version: lots
Audio Codec Type & Version: lots
TV Card: ATI Sapphire Theatrix 550
TV Card Type: H/W
TV Card Driver: Unsure exactly, but d/l 2 weeks ago.
Log: N/A, shows no error
Synopsis: See below

I've got a problem with playback of WMV files. I did have this with *all files* but fixed it by searching the forum and came up with installing ffdshow and unticking the YUV options. Now MPG and AVIs are fine, but WMVs are still a problem, although Windows Media Player plays them fine.

Thankfully I don't have many, but considering it's just that the colour output isn't RGB, it's very frustrating.

I've also tried installing the GPL Mpeg Decoder and set it to preferred decoder in MP setup, none of which has helped.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could offer some assistance.

John

P.S. Great work on MP so far, keep it up!

Johnny-D

Portal Member
August 11, 2006
Well after a bit more research and a foray into graphedit I've found that MP isn't using ffdshow for wmv files, although why not I have no idea.

It is for avi's and they come up a treat.

How can I force MP to use the ffdshow raw video filter?

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Johnny-D said:
    How can I force MP to use the ffdshow raw video filter?

You should configure fddshow to allow wmp input (MP should be trying to use fddshow, but depending on the settings fddshow allows / or disallows this).

Johnny-D

Portal Member
    August 11, 2006
    Thanks mbuzina, guess nobody really cares about one poor numpty's colour problems.

As it is, I'm not sure what you mean? MP is actually using ffdshow for avi's etc (thanks graphedit!) just not for wmv. I don't know which settings you mean though, I'd check them if I could.

Having said that it's all rather moot now as I tried a borrowed 9600 in it and the colour was spot on, so I've nabbed a 9800 off ebay.

Bit miffed as the 8500 was fine performance-wise, and it's £40 I've had to shell out just b/c MP doesn't support RGB colorspace, but never mind.

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Johnny,

you are not the only one. I am not sure, that MP is the one to blame! I think MS is here the right address. (Or ATI, it only seems to occur with those grphics cards, especially the 8500)

Afaik this is solved in WMP 11. It would be just enough, if MS would allow to change the colorspace, this can be done for most codecs, but not WMV. WMP uses build in codecs for WMV, which cannot be overwritten by a program using this engine.

I do not know, if MP can force direct show to use RGB. If this is possible, it would be nice.

Flip.

zombiepig

Portal Pro
    March 21, 2005
    Melb, Aus
    Home Country
    hey john - have you tried going into ffdshow's video decoder configuration (in your start menu), then click on 'codecs' on the left hand side, and make sure wmv1/7 and wmv 2/8 and setting them to 'libavcodec'?
    worth a try! :p

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I think EqualRightsForWerewolves stated what I meant in much better words und had the right description. This should work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom