WORKING: MPWebServices Win2008R2 (1 Viewer)

Salty.dh

Portal Member
April 20, 2006
I know a number of people were having problems with getting MPWebServices to work under Windows Server 2008 R2. Specifically receiving the following error: "MPWebServices: Exception raised while trying to start webserver. Could not load file or assembly 'MiniWebServer, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."

Here's what I did to get it working, I did notice a post by Gemx about stability issues (https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mpwebservices-463/solving-webserver-crashes-81804/), I only just got this working on R2 so time will tell?

Step 1:

Open the web.config file for the MPWebServices (C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\Plugins\MPWebServices\htdocs\Web.config)

Step 2:

Scroll to the very bottom and you'll see the configuration\runtime node. Comment out that entire node.

<!--
<runtime>
<assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
<dependentAssembly>
<assemblyIdentity name="System.Web.Extensions" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35"/>
<bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.0.0-1.1.0.0" newVersion="3.5.0.0"/></dependentAssembly>
<dependentAssembly>
<assemblyIdentity name="System.Web.Extensions.Design" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35"/>
<bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.0.0-1.1.0.0" newVersion="3.5.0.0"/></dependentAssembly>
</assemblyBinding>
</runtime>
-->
</configuration>

Specifically, we need to turn off the assembly bindings. I think the assembly resolution problem is caused by multiple app domains in the process and each domain has different bindings. AppDomain 1 would have default bindings and the Web App AppDomain has System.Web.Extensions redirected. This is confusing the assembly resolver - its not even scanning the current path for this assembly as far as I can see!

Step 3:

At this point, restart your TvService windows service. Open a browser and browse to your designated WebService URL (locahost:8080). You may get a nice yellow screen of death about NT Authority\System not having access to the ASP.NET Temporary Files directory.

Step 4: (Optional dependent on current system config)

I had to manually create this folder, it didn't exist: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files

Set the SYSTEM account to have at least Modify Access (I used full control). Security minded people will change the TvService account to a service account and secure that way.

Step 5:

Restart the TvService again.

At this point everything should start up OR, if you're running RC6 like I am, some of the assemblies will be out of date in the htdocs\bin directory.

Step 6: (Not required depending on Mediaportal version)

Take the following assemblies from the root MediaPortal TV Server folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server

- Gentle.Common.dll
- Gentle.Framework.dll
- Gentle.Provider.MySQL.dll
- Gentle.Provider.SQLServer.dll

- MySql.Data.dll

- TvControl.dll
- TVDatabase.dll
- TvLibrary.Interfaces.dll

Replace the assemblies in C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\Plugins\MPWebServices\htdocs\bin

Step 7:

Enjoy MPWebServices again!

Hope that helps the few others who had this problem. I finally have my broadcasting server up and running on my 2008R2 box so I'm very happy.

Cheers,

Salty.

Khurram

Portal Pro
May 12, 2008
Home Country
Pakistan Pakistan
Thanks for the detailed instructions. I finally got mine working on Windows 7 with MediaPortal 1.1.0 release :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom