Working with Plugin tutorial & editting someone elses pl (1 Viewer)

JRNeher

Portal Member
August 29, 2005
I want to look into writing plugins. I saw that there are a few different places that give a tutoiral on how to do the basics. The one by Erwin Beckers is very detailed and very easy to follow. I went through it step-by-step. All was going well, but when I build the plugin the documentation tells me to go to: C:\Mediaportal\ourplugin\bin\release\ourplugin.dll. However, there is no release directory. There is a debug directory when only inside the bin directory. It does contain the ourplugin.dll file and when I put it in to the appropriate place and go into configuration.exe it is not there. There is a source code zip file that you are able to download and so I downloaded this. When I opened it up, there is also no release directory in the bin directory. There is only the debug directory like mine. I thought I would try to place that example on in the plugin directory and opened up configuration.exe and there it was! I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. Everything in my code seems to be just like it is supposed to be (according to the tutorial). Can anyone help with this issue? I would really like to get my hands into this, but cannot go any further than this.

Also, could someone explain to me how you go about making changes to someone else's plugin? I know you have to have the source code. For example, there are a few different things I would like to do with the MyDVDs plugin, which has multiple C# files. I do not know how I would go about getting my changes to work as a plugin after I had made the changes to the code.

Any help would be greatly apprecaited. Thanks!

Jake

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Re: Working with Plugin tutorial & editting someone else

JRNeher said:
    However, there is no release directory. There is a debug directory when only inside the bin directory.
    This depends if you tell visual studio to compile for debug or for release. You should have a drop down box on your toolbar saying "Debug". If you change that to "Release" the release dir will be created. But: This should not be the source of your problem, since a debug version should work just the same. Check your MediaPortal.log for any errors on loading your plugin and maybe post the relevant parts.

JRNeher said:
    Also, could someone explain to me how you go about making changes to someone else's plugin? I know you have to have the source code. For example, there are a few different things I would like to do with the MyDVDs plugin, which has multiple C# files. I do not know how I would go about getting my changes to work as a plugin after I had made the changes to the code.

Well, when you change someone elses plugin you get the source code, change what you want to change and compile it. Then you can replace the original .dll files in your MP Plugins directory with your newly created ones. If you want to share your work, you should either contact the original author to add your changes to his code, or you may also publish your new plugin code, but this creates a new "branch" of development, leading to many different versions of plugins. So download the myDVD code, start changing it and contact freezer to have your changes included.

-- after reading your post again, maybe a more direct answer: there is no way of making a plugin for a plugin at the moment. So you have to change the myDVD plugin directly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom