workround for illegal foldername problem (1 Viewer)

Paul Shirley

Portal Pro
November 3, 2008
The problem: programme names ending in '..' or '...' in a series schedule fail to record, because Windows cannot name folders with trailing dots. UK Freeview just had a bunch of programmes appear with this naming.

Quick workround is altering the series recording template in TVServer config - if it contains
%title%\
add a character between % and \
%title%-\
seems to work. Remember to reapply it when upgrading to RC4...

Paul Shirley

Portal Pro
November 3, 2008
Most recent failure was "X:\PVR\BBC 7 - Linda Smith's A Brief History of...\BBC 7 - Linda Smith's A Brief History of... - - 2008-11-21 - 17_00.ts":
Code:
channel "BBC 7"
programme "Linda Smith's A Brief History of..."
record template "%channel% - %title%\%channel% - %title% - %episode% - %date% - %start%"
MP manages to create "BBC 7 - Linda Smith's A Brief History of... - - 2008-11-21 - 17_00.xml" in "X:\PVR\BBC 7 - Linda Smith's A Brief History of\" but not the ts. AFAIK The underlying problem is XP stripping trailing dots in file/folder names.

Next obvious one is the "BBC 7 - Linda Smith's A Brief History of..." repeat at 6:30am tomorrow. 1st saw the error with "Rough Guide To ..." TV series, its not just a radio problem.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    That's a bummer with the radio side, because that not supported by MP presently for recording, yes i know you can record, just not play anything back inside MP :(

I'll see if any rough guide repeats are coming up, but in the meantime if you spot something with the same criteria let me know and i'll record it and see if there are any issues i can reproduce.

Cheers

Paul Shirley

Portal Pro
    November 3, 2008
    Next obvious candidate is 4Music: "4Music Presents..." at 12:30 Sat
    Next "Rough Guide to ..." is 7:30pm on Monday, channel Five.

You'll need to use Advanced Record to set 4Music to force it into a folder or play with your recording template, I don't think it will affect recordings directly into the root.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Hi Paul

4Music Presents works for me on XPsp3, created folder with the name "4Music Presents... - 4Music"

Will try the rough guide to on monday.

Paul Shirley

Portal Pro
    November 3, 2008
    I think that means your template looks like "%title% - %channel%\" which is probably a better way to avoid the problem. Is that the default setting? Mine are hacked around to match pre-existing recordings...

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Yep, mine are set at the default, so they have already covered that one for any possible errors, and it's only if you change this, you need to put the workaround back in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom