WORLD CUP IN HDTV in DVB-T Sweden - what card?! (1 Viewer)

kamrat

Portal Pro
May 24, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
In only a few weeks the Soccer World cup will be aired in 720p 50Hz mpeg4 (.h264) HDTV in the swedish DVB-T network.
Wonderful! But I can't figure out what hardware will work.
There are three categories of cards as I see it.

1. Some DVB-T cards claim that they can reciever HDTV in both MPEG2 and MPEG4-format, like the Fire DTV. They should definately work. Right?!

2. Now, there are also a few cards and USB2-dongles around that claim to be able to recieve HDTV (like the MSI Mega Sky 580 DVB-T) but they only list MPEG2 in their specs. Now - this is my big question - will they work with .h264?
Isn't all the decoding done in the computer anyway and with a codec like Nvidia Purevideo that can handle .h264 it should work? If not - why?!

3. In theory should not all DVB-T cards work using the right codec. All the card does is deliver the data to the computer, right? If not - why?!

Are there any DVB-T cards that handle decode the DVB-T stream in hardware at all??

Please help me understand this! I don't want to buy a Fire DTV if not necessary.

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    1. Yes but not with MP as MP uses DVR-MS still at the moment which requires MPEG-2 content. Also more work needs to be done by us on tesing tuning of HDTV H.264 content.
    2. Yes all DVB-T cards should work. The Purevideo codec is MPEG-2 and not H.264. CoreAVC is the best codec out at the moment.
    3. See 2.

No H/W decoders that I know of.

DMAN

kamrat

Portal Pro
    May 24, 2005
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Finally I get some answers! And from someone who definately knows what he is talking about. Thank you DMAN!

This is both good and bad news. The good news of course that I don't need to get a new DVB-T card to recieve HDTV but the bad ïs that MP cannot handle .h264.

Is there no way that I can use media portal to do this? What if I download one of the earlier MP builds using .TS-files?

If I cannot use MP - can anyone help me with what software and codecs might work with DVB-T .h264-broadcasts?!

Jorgen_CAB

Portal Member
    February 7, 2006
    Halmstad
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    HD trailers and other h.264 material works like a charm in MediaPortal by following this instructions...
    http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t12150.html
    ...using the PureVideo decoder.

If you have an Nvidia card in the 6xxx/7xxx series you will get more or less a flawless playback of h.264 material in even 1080P movies. I have tried this and it works very good.

Though if this will work with MY-Tv I have no idea, probably not as stated above, but HD-Movie material should work as intended.

About the question on other mediaprogs...
    MCE should work since it uses windows media player, but I'm not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom