Worst manufacturer supplied TV software.. (1 Viewer)

f0rmula

Portal Pro
January 25, 2006
Cambridge
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I only have experience with Hauppauge WinTV and WinTV 2000, but jesus it's shonky! It quite often crashes, and offers a hideous windows 3.1 style configuration screens.

The install (and upgrade) process is also farcical, involving running a separate binary that searches through your system to pick up any of their previous junk that might hinder the installation. I've also had the driver installer continually fail, crashing instantly on launch.

Anyway, it's horrid, and I should know as I've now been using their hardware for what's now 12 years!! (For the past six or seven I've used 3rd party software though)

Are other manufacturers' supplied TV software suites any better?

James

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Winfast DTV is probably the best manufacturers software out there, but it has it's own limitations, ie supports only 1 TV card for use (even though it recognises 2nd card and allows you to use it if selected).

Must admit Hauppauge gets my vote for the worst, thats after useing both the Lifeview and Dvico software as well.

f0rmula

Portal Pro
    January 25, 2006
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Their hardware is great, and has been flawless once working. It's just their software is so shonky! Not that I use it any more.

James

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    The Lifeview software is also pretty bad. Fortunitely i don't have to use it.

The Nebula DigiTV is probably one of the best card manufacturer apps out there. You can actually buy it for using with any BDA digital card now too.

reagan+carter

Portal Pro
    September 6, 2006
    Nantes, FR
    Pinnacle guys are real pranksters, I once found myself having to pay for a bug-fixing driver update. I will never buy one of their products again!
    At the opposite, I do really like what Compro offers: fast and effective support. They also support their discontinued hardware providing continuous driver updates.

I don't know Winfast but I surely will take a look at their product lines when upgrading, after what Paranoid Delusion said.

chenks

Portal Pro
    May 22, 2006
    Scotland
    Home Country
    The Nebula DigiTV is probably one of the best card manufacturer apps out there. You can actually buy it for using with any BDA digital card now too.

it has its problems too.... like failing to record, crashing at times. common fixes are having to remove the software, clean the registry clean and re-install.

it might be the best out of a bad bunch, but it certainly aint anywhere near perfect.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    The beauty of of the Winfast DTV is there is a freeware version found here http://tw1965.myweb.hinet.net/WinFastDTV.htm use the French link.

At least it will give you a feel for the program and is fully functional, having installed it on some friends pc's, who unfortunately where not willing to get there head around MediaPortal.

Again tried the Nebula software, which has 2 minute funtionality, unless paid for.
    The EPG would not even work (its downloaded from the Nebula website) so it look nice enough, but nothing outstanding, would say GBPVR better for that kind of functionality.

chenks

Portal Pro
    May 22, 2006
    Scotland
    Home Country
    The EPG would not even work (its downloaded from the Nebula website) so it look nice enough, but nothing outstanding, would say GBPVR better for that kind of functionality.

the nebula software does NOT take the EPG from anywhere other than "over the air".

the option to download from the nebula website is an old legacy option that has not been used for a couple of years !

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    it has its problems too.... like failing to record, crashing at times. common fixes are having to remove the software, clean the registry clean and re-install.

it might be the best out of a bad bunch, but it certainly aint anywhere near perfect.
    Thanks for that chenks. I haven't used it in a long, long time, but i do occationally have a look at their change logs and feature list.

Right now i don't think there are any perfect TV or media center applications, the technology is still too imature.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    the nebula software does NOT take the EPG from anywhere other than "over the air".

This was using the LATEST version of the Nebula software downloaded from the start of this discussion, within the settings menu (quite extensive) nothing about OTA EPG grabbing only a EPG update button, and with the 2 minute cutout limit on TV, do not know if this time limit affected the EPG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom