Would I be able to do better then a Xbox with XBMC (1 Viewer)

lordphantom

March 1, 2006
I've been running XBMC for the last 3 years on my Xbox and it does it's job pretty well but now I'm here with a nice little pc left over which could become a nice HTPC.

The machine I've got:

Shuttle Anniversary Edition 65G
P4 2.8Ghz
512MB PC3200
160GB Sata Drive
Sony DVD-RW
Gigabyte Nvidia 6600GT with VIVO and HDTV support
8-1 card reader
Build in 6 Channel sound, Ethernet and 11mb Wifi
Pinnacle PCTV Rave

Ideally I would like to hook up my Sat Receiver (Dreambox 500S) for TV Viewing and recording.

I have also a Linksys NSLU2 with 2X 250GB NAS drives.

All of my network is connected to a Dlink Gigabit Switch.

So, what do you think, is it worth making an HTPC of it or should I keep my actual setup ?

Other idea would be to build an HTPC for the bedroom with it, one that could play media stored on the NAS drives or watch TV through Network streaming, my Dreambox is capable of doing it through VLC.

Sorry if this is a lot, but I've been pondering for so long now on which route to choose :wink:

Thanks a lot :!:

thechad

Portal Pro
February 5, 2005
Geelong, Australia
Home Country
Hi,

Apart from the TV card it should make a nice rig. You would need to look at obtaining a hardware encoding Anolgue card or a Digital card if you want to record tv.

robomonkey

Portal Pro
August 4, 2005
Well, speaking as a previous Tivo\XBMC user I can unreserverdly say, yes, I haven't looked back since upgrading in October.

I guess it depends if you're keeping your xbox as well for games or maybe getting a 360?

Either way it'd certianly be worth your while buying the TV\Sat card on ebay installing it and seeing for yourself, as you can always pop the card back on ebay if you don't like it. All you'll loose is a bit of time setting it up.

lordphantom

March 1, 2006
I might give it a try then, I saw a SkyStar2 card going for 50€.

Is there any news about a plugin to control a Dreambox like on MythTV ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom