Harley

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 7, 2004
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

In the wiki there it says we have more then 10000 registerd users, but we have more then 60000 registered users in the forum.

Can someone please change that.

Greetings Harley :)

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Just a suggestion, perhaps the number of users could be posted on the Home Page somewhere? Is there a way to have it auto update as new users join the forum? Even x new users in the last day/week/month? It's pretty impressive.

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    forum members are not equal to mp users!

forum members are not equal to mp users!

Maybe the home page wording is a bit unclear about that.

Look at the 2008 (!) sourceforge statistics for the downloads. Thats 1,300,000 downloads.

Of course these 1,3 billion are not all users, because these statistics contain

# downloads of multiple versions from the same user (0.2.3.0./1.0)
    # downloads of the same user for multiple htpcs or clients
    # downloads of users who stop using mp again

tomtom

detail-graph.php

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Agree with what tomtom says.

But it always amazes me that someone who has a post count of 1, turns around and says he's been using MP for years or a very long time, as always you can make what you wish of any statistics :)

Regards

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Paranoid, I agree with you that statisticsare open to interpretation. I was only thinking it is good PR (not that MP really needs it!) and also might be helpful for developers to realize just how many users there are. It kinda blew my mind! One case that supports your point is the screen survey. I have read a number of posts where people quote it as a possible reason not to do 4:3 skins, or leave them till later. But a sample of 200 out of 60,000 is not very representative, especially when those 200 are apt to be the more 'core' MP users. Not that I personally think the survey was wrong, but it does illustrate your point about how statistical data is used. I was impressed with the work pbb did a year or so ago and I think that kind of data is probably far more valuable especially to developers. I also thought about suggesting it could be ranked according to years using MP, or number of posts, etc. but I thought that was a huge can of worms!

So who has been using MP for years with a post count of 1? Harley? :)

Users who are viewing this thread