Status
Not open for further replies.

Elof

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 18, 2005
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    When you try to install 1.1RC1 on Windows Server 2003R2 SP2 x86 the installer stops with the error "Windows XP x64 (Service Pack 2) [5.2.3790.131072] Sorry, your OS is currently not supported by MediaPortal" (see attached image).

Windows XP x64 is a showstopper, I know, but the product code 5.2, build 3790, is correct for my system. I hope that Windows Server 2003 will continue to be an unsupported but possible platform for the TV server. I've been using the same server since 1.0.0 and it's been a very stable and reliable combination.

I can't see that the installer has created any logs at this stage but if I'm wrong please advice me on how to find them.

Attachments

• Installer error.PNG
      Installer error.PNG
      7.6 KB

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Please attach a fullscreen screenshot when this error occur and also do a screenshot of start->run->winver please.

Simone

Elof

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 18, 2005
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Since I reported the error I've restored my system to 1.0.2 (my family would strangle me otherwise...). I still get the error but one screen later since the installation finds the existing installation. On a clean server you get the error when you press Next on the "Start with the installation now"-screen.

I've done some research and found that XP x64 is based on Windows 2003 and share the same version and build numbers, I hope that you can find a reliable way to distinguish them.

Attachments

• fullscreen.PNG
      fullscreen.PNG
      238.4 KB
    • winver.PNG
      winver.PNG
      31 KB

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Thx for the screenshot. Amazing that here it works fine :confused:

Can you run attached exe and let me know results please ?

Simone

NOTE. What distinguish XP from 2003 is the "ProductType", not the major, minor version of the OS itself...

Attachments

• Detect_OSVersion.zip
      30.6 KB

Elof

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 18, 2005
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I've attached a screenshot of Detect_OSVersion, it's still convinced that this is a XP system... I've also attached an export of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion if you have a working Windows 2003 Server to compare it with.

Attachments

• Detect_OSVersion.PNG
      Detect_OSVersion.PNG
      5.4 KB
    • CurrentVersion.zip
      30.6 KB

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    I'm sorry but you definitively have a problem on your OS :(

I tested with 10 machines ( 2 mine and 8 from my customers ) and Detect_OSversion.exe reports what it should.

Simone

Elof

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 18, 2005
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Besides the TV-server I have a file server, also with 2003R2. Detect_OSVersion gives the same result on that server, XP x64...

I'll compare my servers to some of the servers at work tomorrow and try to find the difference - if I find a server that gives the correct result... :)

Both my servers is clean installations of 2003R2 updated with SP2, there has never been any other OS installed on the HDDs. On the other hand, both servers is a couple of years old and many things has been installed and uninstalled during the time. Something can have screwed up the reporting of ProductType. What call/function is used to get the information?

Update:
    I have several machines at work (long live VPN and RDP!) that works and several that doesn't. The common thing I can see is that member servers is working and AD servers (domain controllers) isn't. I found a little program (OS Name, Version & Product Type - CodeProject) and when I tried it on different servers I get the correct ProductType on member servers but it's empty on domain controllers. There's some comments on the page about a bug in the code that returns an empty ProductType on Windows Server 2003, thats why I found it to begin with.

This lead me to the (I think) correct key in the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ProductOptions\ProductType) and there is a difference. On member servers (or stand-alone servers) the value is ServerNT but on domain controllers its LanmanNT. Guess what, both my servers are domain controllers... :) I hope that this can be to any help!

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Good finding.

But take care that I won't change the code to support a Domain Controller for TV-Server. :sorry:

Simone

Elof

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 18, 2005
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Sorry to hear that since 1.0.2 detects and handle the server correct. Guess I has to demote the server during installation.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom