x264 micro stutters, helps by pausing (1 Viewer)

ErikLarsson

Portal Pro
May 9, 2006
Right now my DVD and x264 playback have a very annoying issue. It seems that my playback is very depentant on when i start to play my video. About half the time i play i get constant stutter, which never goes away. I pause and play, and hopefully the stutter is gone. Once it plays without stutter, it can play a whole DVD without any stutter at all.

I've experimented with drivers, settings, VSYNC, Vmr9 exclusive, videocards, mediaplayers, codecs and sources, but with no result.

I also have stutters issues with x264, which both suffers from the problem above, but also from stutter that occurs at the same time in the video (ie. it always stutters during that part). My cpu never spikes, and is at 60-70%. Confusingly, it seems that scenes that have a still background with a person moving far away often produces the stutter. Closeups and panoramic shots are ususally perfect, unless it sufferes from the problem above. Also, it seems that heavy scenes can put the video in the stuttering state like above, unable to break free from it, needing me to pause.

With this problem i've also tried codecs, players, and all possible settings with no result.

Attached is a graph showing a x264 playing, seems to be no codec conflicts etc.

I use reclock and match my output to my 50hz TV by setting framerate 25fps. I decode all sound to 5 channel PCM and let my onboard soundcard realtime encode it to ac3.

Thanks for any help!

MediaPortal Version: 1.0 RC2
MediaPortal Skin: BlueTwo
Windows Version: WinXP Media Center Edition
CPU Type: Amd 2800+
HDD: 120gb seagate IDE
Memory: 512 mb ram (2x 256)
Motherboard: Asus A7N8X
Video Card: Geforce 6800
Powerstrip: No
Video Card Driver: 177.66
MPEG2 Video Codec: Nvidia purevideo