XBMC and ComSkip (Great News!) (1 Viewer)

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hey everyone,

I've been watching the XBMC forums and changelogs for the last few weeks and after downloading the latest SVN I can report that ...

XBMC can now automatically skip commercials when playing back videos (recorded TV, Movies, etc...)

If you use an Xbox with XBMC as a I do then you'll be really excited about this.

The latest svn version of XBMC will now search for an EDL file in the same folder as the video and if found will use it to automatically skip commercials.

You can find the latest SVN version of XBMC here:

http://t3ch.yi.se/

ComSkip can output EDL files by changing the following line in your ComSkip.ini file from:

output_edl=0

to:

output_edl=1

You can download ComSkip here:

http://www.kaashoek.com/comskip/

There are plugins included with MediaPortal and TVEngine that can run ComSkip for you, and MediaPortal itself has basic support for ComSkip .txt files.

The XBMC guys have done amazing work for years now and I use XBMC almost every single day. So thank you to everyone involved in XBMC, it's the best. It's as simple as that, the best.

Thank you also to T3CH for their regular releases, you guys are awesome.

Also a big thank you to Erik for ComSkip. Fantastic work mate.

Cheers,

CYaBro

Portal Member
    April 27, 2006
    Whangarei
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I've tried comskip before but it never worked very well with the NZ tv channels.
    Do you know if it has got any better at detecting the ads?

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I've tried comskip before but it never worked very well with the NZ tv channels.
    Do you know if it has got any better at detecting the ads?

There were some changes that went in to the latest version recently to improve detecting ads in Australia, I don't know if it will help you in NZ, but it might be worth a try. When was the last time you tried ComSkip?

Also, there are many, many options to tweak to improve the detection... There are guides all over the internet about it.

And will this make it's way over to MP? :)

Well MP already does do commercial skipping. That is, you can use a button to skip adverts, so not automatic. There has been a lot of discussion about it and automatic skipping is on the way, but we are in a feature freeze so it will have to wait.

I've written the automatic skipping code, it's a piece of cake, but I haven't committed it to SVN because of the feature freeze. When it comes in it will be optional.

Cheers,

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia

P_stAR

Portal Member
    December 9, 2005
    Currently using comskip with Media portal 0.2.3 tv2 engine in New zealand and it works well with dvr-ms files.
    Had trouble setting up remote to do chapter skip while viewing recorded tv but. solved that issuse with MCE replacement driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom