XML file is blank (1 Viewer)

tom16

Portal Member
March 22, 2009
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Just installed this plugin with the PureVision 4.0 skin on 1.1.0 Final under Windows 7 64-bit.

It seems the infoservice.xml file is being emptied out sometimes when MP starts and thus the plugin fails. I have to delete the empty file before I can reconfigure the plugin. This happens even if I make no changes to the default settings. I have since updated to version 1.6 but the problem still occurs. Any one got any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks in advance.

SilentException

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2008
    Rijeka, Croatia
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    Interesting, do you have any logs? I haven't yet encountered this problem and I'm restarting MePo more than 20 times daily when developing or testing..

tom16

Portal Member
    March 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Don't worry - just worked it out... turns out this problem only occured when I used my remote to start MP. If I used the shortcut it was ok. I've now set the remote to run the shortcut instead of the MP exe and it's all fine. I guess the 'starting directory' needed setting for these plugins to work...?

Log attached so you can see what was happening.

SilentException

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2008
    Rijeka, Croatia
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    The root of the problem lies here:

Paste2: Next Generation Pastebin - Viewing Paste 928645

As you can see, there is a path problem. seco helped me on IRC (he had similar problems with one of his own plugins) and told me that only reinstalling MePo helped. Before doing so, you could double (or tripple) check your Program Files folderS if you perhaps have anything duplicated (MediaPortal related).

kuku

Portal Member
    May 7, 2008
    Hi, I had a similar problem. Among other things, my infoservice.xml file was 0 bytes. I had all sorts of trouble when going to My Music. And in my error.log I got the following entry: "[A]InfoService.Settings.SettingsManager cannot be cast to InfoService.Settings.SettingsManager. Type A originates from 'InfoService, Version=1.6.0.136, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' in the context 'Default' at location 'C:\Progra~2\TeamMe~1\MediaPortal\plugins\windows\InfoService.dll'"

Tom16 is right in pointing out that the culprit was the remote control. I have a Hauppauge remote. Every time i used it to start mediaportal, I got these errors. The problem occurs only if you start MP with that remote. If, for example, you start MP with the mouse and then use the remote to browse, everything is fine. My MP installation was fresh, without any other plugins or skins.

Not quite sure why this is happening. But I can make a guess. In the irremote.ini file there is a line where the greenpower button is assigned to MP. That line uses the path "'C:\Progra~2\TeamMe~1\MediaPortal". Maybe this creates problems?

Anyway, I found a simple solution. Instead of installing MP in its default directory, I installed it in one with a short name, e.g. "C:\MP\Mportal". Now everything is working perfectly.

I hope this helps.

zsteven1

Portal Member
    March 10, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi, I had a similar problem. Among other things, my infoservice.xml file was 0 bytes. I had all sorts of trouble when going to My Music. And in my error.log I got the following entry: "[A]InfoService.Settings.SettingsManager cannot be cast to InfoService.Settings.SettingsManager. Type A originates from 'InfoService, Version=1.6.0.136, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' in the context 'Default' at location 'C:\Progra~2\TeamMe~1\MediaPortal\plugins\windows\InfoService.dll'"

Tom16 is right in pointing out that the culprit was the remote control. I have a Hauppauge remote. Every time i used it to start mediaportal, I got these errors. The problem occurs only if you start MP with that remote. If, for example, you start MP with the mouse and then use the remote to browse, everything is fine. My MP installation was fresh, without any other plugins or skins.

Not quite sure why this is happening. But I can make a guess. In the irremote.ini file there is a line where the greenpower button is assigned to MP. That line uses the path "'C:\Progra~2\TeamMe~1\MediaPortal". Maybe this creates problems?

Anyway, I found a simple solution. Instead of installing MP in its default directory, I installed it in one with a short name, e.g. "C:\MP\Mportal". Now everything is working perfectly.

I hope this helps.

Same problem here. I also have got the Hauppauge remote, and have set "C:\Progra~2\TeamMe~1\MediaPortal" in the irremote.ini . When using the remote to start mediaportal, infoservice is in error and there are also problems with music/video playback. I do hope this is the solution for me too!

I was already thinking to get another remote.. Now I'm for sure...

tom16

Portal Member
    March 22, 2009
    Home Country
    No need to get a new remote! Just change the path in the irremote.ini file to point towards a shortcut to MP:

C:\Users\TV\AppData\Roaming\Micros~1\Intern~1\QuickL~1\Userpi~1\Startm~1\mediap~1.lnk

on my Win7 system or, if you can, reinstall MP to a directory with a short name as per kuku's post.

zsteven1

Portal Member
    March 10, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    No need to get a new remote! Just change the path in the irremote.ini file to point towards a shortcut to MP:

C:\Users\TV\AppData\Roaming\Micros~1\Intern~1\QuickL~1\Userpi~1\Startm~1\mediap~1.lnk

on my Win7 system or, if you can, reinstall MP to a directory with a short name as per kuku's post.

I've tried everything.. but mediaportal doesn't startup when I link irremote to the shortcut. And after I have tried to do so, mediaportal won't start up at all untill a reboot.. Strange..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom