XMLTV trouble (1 Viewer)

koesterkm

Portal Member
September 6, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I've been getting XMLTV listings from TV Media since 9/19/15. Never a problem through 5/2/17. All of a sudden, there was no more data in MP's TV Guide. I've changed nothing, and none of my searches for answers have produced anything. Does anybody have any information that can help me?
I am not a technology wiz, so please give very detailed answers.
Thanks, Kvn

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

In order to receive a detailed answer, one must first supply detailed information in order to enable people determine what the problem is. :)

Please could you start by providing a link to this "TV Media" service - whatever that is - and explain how you've been acquiring data from it. Those of us who live on the other side of the world and have never heard of this service need a bit of background information.

...and in addition to that, please could you supply your TV Server log files:
    1. Open TV Server Configuration.
    2. Click "open log directory" in the top left corner.
    3. Zip all the files in that folder.
    4. Attach ("upload a file") the zip file to your next reply.
    Regards,
    mm

koesterkm

Portal Member
    September 6, 2015
    Home Country
    Thanks much for the replay. And thanks even more for being so patient with my ignorance so as to provide such detailed instructions.

My zipped log file is now attached.

TV Media's website is simply TV Listings and TV Data Provider for North America. Or maybe you have to go to XML TV Listings --I signed in there, and my account is still active. I was directed to this provider from somewhere on the MP site when my previous provider stopped working.

I hope this is sufficient information. If you need anything else, please let me know. And thank you very much for any help you can provide.

Kvn

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again

Thank you for the info and log files.

From the log files I can see that TV Server's XMLTV plugin is enabled, which is expected/required for pulling in XMLTV guide data.

I can also see that the PowerScheduler plugin is configured to run a script that updates guide data at 6 PM every day. That script most recently ran on 27 April:
    [collapse][2017-05-06 07:31:25,900] [Log ] [TVService] [DEBUG] - EpgGrabbingHandler: Preventing standby when grabbing EPG: True
    [2017-05-06 07:31:25,904] [Log ] [TVService] [DEBUG] - EpgGrabbingHandler: Wakeup system for EPG grabbing: enabled
    [2017-05-06 07:31:25,914] [Log ] [TVService] [DEBUG] - EpgGrabbingHandler: EPG grabbing at 18:00
    [2017-05-06 07:31:25,915] [Log ] [TVService] [DEBUG] - EpgGrabbingHandler: EPG grabbing on: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday
    [2017-05-06 07:31:25,915] [Log ] [TVService] [DEBUG] - EpgGrabbingHandler: EPG last run was at 4/27/2017 6:00:37 PM

[2017-04-26 18:00:13,928] [Log ] [EPG Grabbing Handler] [DEBUG] - EpgGrabbingHandler: EPG schedule 18:00 is due
    [2017-04-26 18:00:13,931] [Log ] [EPG Grabbing Handler] [DEBUG] - EpgGrabbingHandler: Starting external command: C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\xmltv\mc2xml.bat epg
    [2017-04-27 18:00:27,837] [Log ] [XmlTvImporter] [INFO ] - Xmltv: imported 70 channels, 7744 programs status:tvguide.xml:File imported successfully;
    [/collapse]

The fact that the script last ran on 27 April explains why you have no guide data. The data collected at that time has not been replenished, and has now run out.

Next question is: why hasn't the PowerScheduler plugin run the script since 27 April? It ought to have run it at 6 PM every day!

Short answer is that it looks like your TV Server was running in "zombie mode" between about 10:30 PM on 27 April (when there was a weird database error) and 7 AM on 6 May (when you restarted the TV Server and/or your PC).

Good news is that the problem should have automatically fixed itself when you restarted the TV Server and/or PC. I expect PowerScheduler would have run the guide data update script at 6 PM as it usually does, and after about 5 minutes that would have filled your TV guide.

Can you confirm you've got guide data again?

koesterkm

Portal Member
    September 6, 2015
    Home Country
    Yes, my data is back.
    When I tried to follow your initial directions, I found that though the TV Server Configuration utility would open, the program would repeatedly fail before I could continue with step 2. A computer restart seemed like the only logical next step, and I was hoping that the restart would not only reset the TV Server Configuration so that it would work, but maybe even result in the repair of the missing data problem. The data didn't repopulate right away, even after I thought I did something that would force it to, so I continued with the steps you provided and sent you the requested information.
    I now feel a bit foolish, spending your time without having first tried to search for an easy fix within the TV Server Configuration utility or even by restarting my computer. But there's a lot in the TV Server Configuration for a technology simpleton to sort through. And it seems so odd that my computer hadn't been restarted in such a long time--it's pretty rare that it doesn't need restarting at least once a week due to some glitch with the sound, a minor inconvenience that has plagued us long before I started using MP.
    In any case, the data is present and recording is occurring as it should. Thank you much for you patience with me and your help. Kvn

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes, my data is back.
    Great! :)

I now feel a bit foolish, spending your time without having first tried to search for an easy fix within the TV Server Configuration utility or even by restarting my computer.
    Please don't feel foolish. We're here to help and try to save you time and frustration, so don't hesitate to throw questions and problems our way any time.

Thank you much for you patience with me and your help.
    You're very welcome.
    See you around. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom