XMLTv & TV3 driving me NUTS! Please help (1 Viewer)

speedway

Portal Member
August 26, 2006
Riverstone, NSW
Home Country
TV-Server Version: tvengine3-11-02-2007--01-39h--Rev16422
MediaPortal Version: 0.2.3.0,RC3
MediaPortal Skin:
Windows Version: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
CPU Type: Intel Pentium III 1Ghz
HDD: Seagate 80Gb IDE
Memory: 512Mb
Motherboard:
Motherboard Chipset:
Motherboard Bios:
Video Card: nVidia GForce FX5200 128Mb
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card: Soundblaster Live! 5.1
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: Tevion DVB-T220
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card: DNTV Live! Pro
2. TV Card Type: DVB-T
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card: Compro Videomate DVB-T300
3. TV Card Type: DVB-T
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

I am a refugee from MythTV. Finally got totally sick of it. Anyway, up to last night I had a successful MP install using just 0.2.3.0 RC3. In that I has a valid program listing via XMLTV tvguide.xml file.

Today I decided to give TVServer a try for real. Installed everything as per the videos and have been driving myself *nuts* ever since trying to get my tvguide.xml to import.

Here's what I have done.

- TV Server channels match tvguide.xml's channels.
- enabled XMLTV plugin in TVServer manager console.
- told it to use tvguide.xml from Z:\ drive

Nothing happened.

- changed something in tvguide.xml to try and force the 1 minute import

Nothing happened

- copied tvguide.xml to TvGuide.xml

Nothing happened

There is nothing in the log files apart from one log that had something about Powerschedular in it. That file got zapped when I opened the console again.

What should I be looking at now? I am at the end of my tether on this one and may have to just go back to plain ole MP as XMLTV is the only way I get my guide data.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Bruce

corvy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2007
    Rykkinn, Akershus
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Do you point to a directory that contains both TVguide.xml and xmltv.dtd? I think they both are needed. :)

Also, first time I tried to configure the plugin I forgot to put the green checkmark in tvserver config. The checkmark that enables the plugin, long shot to think you missed that one, but :)

Mercbac

Portal Pro
    March 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Try this:
    Use WebEPG-config.exe to create the WebEPG.xml file in MediaPortals WebEPG directory.
    Then run Webepg.exe which reads webepg.xml in order to obtain EPG data and then writes tvguide.xml in MP's XMLTV directory (which should also contain a copy of the file "xmltv.dtd")

In the TVE3 config tool, point the xmltv config to the dir (XMLTV) that has tvguide.xml. Also set the "timezone compensation" to -1 for western Europe (I guess it should be +5 for US east coast).

This has worked for me, so hope it will help you out.

speedway

Portal Member
    August 26, 2006
    Riverstone, NSW
    Home Country
    Do you point to a directory that contains both TVguide.xml and xmltv.dtd? I think they both are needed. :)

Also, first time I tried to configure the plugin I forgot to put the green checkmark in tvserver config. The checkmark that enables the plugin, long shot to think you missed that one, but :)
    Yup, the directory is a network location from my Linux box, shared via Samba. It is writable by everyone. The directory *only* contains tvguide.xml and xml.dtd. This is the exact same file that MP 0.2.3.x used to populate it program table so I know it is formatted correctly.

Before I posted I had read that I needed to enable the plugin, which I did. Double, triple checked that everything was as it should be. I even "edited" the tvguide.xml file to force a change....but zip, zero, nada happened.

Cheers
    Bruce

Try this:
    Use WebEPG-config.exe to create the WebEPG.xml file in MediaPortals WebEPG directory.
    Then run Webepg.exe which reads webepg.xml in order to obtain EPG data and then writes tvguide.xml in MP's XMLTV directory (which should also contain a copy of the file "xmltv.dtd")

In the TVE3 config tool, point the xmltv config to the dir (XMLTV) that has tvguide.xml. Also set the "timezone compensation" to -1 for western Europe (I guess it should be +5 for US east coast).

This has worked for me, so hope it will help you out.
    Thanks, but I am in Australia. Our EPG information is harder to get than most things. I have a working solution to get the EPG information courtesy of my time with MythTV on Ubuntu Linux and that produces a usable xml file. Like I indicated above, MP 0.2.3.x uses and loads this file 100% of the time, TVServer doesn't - and I cannot figure out why.

After reading things here and gleening information, I have tried and checked everything there is to check and *still* cannot get it to work, I have until about 3pm tomorrow to get the solution working, otherwise I'll just dump TVServer in favor of bog standard MP. It would be a major bummer to have to do that as I need a web based solution for scheduling and MP 2 don't have it, whereas MP3 does (the one from Big Kev)

Cheers
    Bruce

Update:

Thought I would try something.

First, remember that the original location was used by MP 0.2 without problems. Well, I copied tvguide.xml to a directory off C: drive and readjusted the settings in TV server. Bingo, it started to import the file.

The question is...why could it not import it off a network drive, assigned to drive Z: in Windows? The directory is world writable/readable and was used by MP 0.2.x.

Oh well, at least I am getting closer and know where to look. It would still be interesting however, to work out an answer to the above question.....

Cheers
    Bruce

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    hey there, Yep, EPG in Australia is very difficult alright.

What I do now is use Yahoo. They seem to have relaxed their stance and now provide EPG with details.
    I had some issues when using Minnie before.

So now I just configure webepg to grab from yahoo tv guide and all works swell.

speedway

Portal Member
    August 26, 2006
    Riverstone, NSW
    Home Country
    Hi Marcus

I use the Shepherd grabber which grabs from multiple sources, consolidates and cleans and then enhances the data. It is brilliant. It is a Perl script that I ran for MythTV. As I have Linux boxes in my house, I use one of then to do the grabbing and then feed it to MediaPortal.

Cheers
    Bruce

mrkaras

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2006
    Home Country
    I have just setup safexmltv and had some success although I can't say much yet , I only set it up 1/2 an hour ago.

niblick

Portal Member
    December 18, 2006
    Your tv service is probably running in the "Local System" user context which doesn't have the Z: drive defined. Try using unc naming to get to the directory (I haven't tried but I suppose the xmltv plugin will accept a path such as \\servername\sharename\directoryname).

speedway

Portal Member
    August 26, 2006
    Riverstone, NSW
    Home Country
    Thanks for the tip. I will try that next time I use TV3. For the moment I have dropped back to MP2 just to get used to it. When I am more comfortable I will again try v3

Cheers
    Bruce

mrkaras

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2006
    Home Country
    I would say that is a good idea, get uset to the sympeler setup (tve2) first befour you try the more complex tve3

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom