Xp with Comskip -> MP 1.1.1 'freezes' because of Run As msg (1 Viewer)

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    MediaPortal Version: 1.1.1
    MediaPortal Skin: Blue3
    Windows Version: Xp sp3 + latest hotfixes
    CPU Type: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5050E
    HDD: Samsung 500GB SpinPoint F3 Sata II
    Memory: Apacer DDR2 PC6400 1024MB Passive
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H
    Video Card: Asus EN8500GT Silent/HTP/256M
    Video Card Driver: 6.14.11.8250
    Sound Card: Onboard Realtek ALC889A
    Sound Card Driver: 5.10.0.5767
    1. TV Card: Hauppauge Win/TV PVR 350
    1. TV Card Type: Analog
    1. TV Card Driver: 1.18.21.23257
    HTPC Case: Antec Fusion
    Cooling: Boxed cpu cooler & 1x120mm case fans (disconnected 2nd 120mm)
    Power Supply: Standard
    Remote: Hauppauge silver 45 buttons
    TV: Sony KV-29FX20B
    TV - HTPC Connection: (TV) Scart -> Scart convertor -> S-Video of EN8500GT

Hi guys,

I've installed the newest version right away (upgrade from 1.1.0) and everything is ok, except for when handling recordings (apparently when stopping a recording): in the background a Run As window pops up not specifying which program needs access. From that point on, it seems as if MP is freezing.
    I also had installed the newest version of comskip and thought that this was the cause but after going back to the previous version, this Run As windows still keeps popping up.

I have 2 useraccounts, both admins so there should be no problem with rights.

Any idea what might be causing this?

TIA

EDIT: disabling the comskip plugin from the server configuration seems to solve this....
    EDIT 2: it comes definitely from comskip, tried multiple times by dis-/enabling it.
    EDIT 3: changed title in case other users have this issue too

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    AW: MP 1.1.1 'freezes' because of Run As msg

I have exactly the same acurring since update from 1.1.0 to 1.1.1 - a dialog "runas" pops up - if I confirm it, comskip will be started (and can bee seen in taskmanager) - if not, comskip canot be started.
    What is the bestpractice way to avoid this dialoge - because I run tVserver standalone and usually don't look on the screen and cannot confirm that....
    Thanks for any hint.

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Re: MP 1.1.1 'freezes' because of Run As msg

It seems like when comskip is launched - I guess initiated by the TVService service - the process doesn't have rights to start.
    I tried changing the credentials from the TVService service from Local System account to the MP user but that doesn't change anything.
    Something must have been changed in 1.1.1 concerning the rights and maybe it's in favor of Vista/W7 but that's only a guess.

For now, I have disabled the comskip utility - which works but of course it's just a workaround - and some of the experts has to look into this

Guzzi, I think I've found something on this issue, check this out: 0002982: Spawned processes don't have admin rights - MediaPortal Bugtracker

I have asked the developer responsible for this to look into it.

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Welcome to the club richrox, although it would be nicer to say this when in different circumstances.

This issue is related to that bug(fix) that I mentioned before - confirmed by the developers - and it was not tested with Xp since it seems that it's just a minority that is still using this OS. Disabling comskip in the server configuration panel is the only option - unless you wanna go back to MP 1.1.0.

Somehow I find this strange since it is not that long ago that W7 was not supported and with Vista as a no-go, there where not that many options left.

Let's hope this gets fixed asap because I really don't like the frequency of and the way commercials are.

JMH

Portal Member
    June 24, 2006
    London
    Home Country
    England England
    I have a very similar issue, but I do NOT Comskip. It also only started when I moved to 1.1.1

When booting up no problems. However, when bringing my PC out of Standby (from Powerscheduler), , MP restarts, but hangs at the splash screen on "starting Plugins" and I have a number of Run As.. windows. Only when I have OK'd these does MP finish starting.

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hi JMH,

Does the Run As window specify which programs/processes need permissions?
    Is the account that runs MP a limited account or administrator?
    Do you have any 'extraordinary' things (plugins, other) because it seems, for now at least, that this problem is a result of fixing that bug which is related to external processes.

Not that I can help you that much but maybe the answers can be useful to fix this problem or at least give a more detailed view.

JMH

Portal Member
    June 24, 2006
    London
    Home Country
    England England
    I've tried to see which plugin might be causing this, but nothing is specified in the dialog; Couldn't spot anything obvious in task manager, but I'll check next time this happens.

I'm running as an administrator.

Plugins in TV Server are: powerscheduler, webepg and backupsettings

Plugins in Client: MovingPictures, My-TV Series, RadioTime, OnlineVideos, powerscheduler

richrox

Portal Member
    January 23, 2009
    Hawaii
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    For me, even after I disabled the comskip launcher plugin in MP server configuration, the "Runas" Dialog still popped up. Scheduled recordings were not starting because of this (I missed Hawaii 5-0 and Fringe!!!) I just downgraded back to 1.1.0 as I wasn't really having any issues with it. I hope to upgrade back to 1.1.1 after that bug is resolved.

ysmp

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 17, 2008
    Seoul.
    Home Country
    South Korea South Korea
    hi guys !
    i'm haveing some freeze olso ,but only on basichome rest arya seams o.k , i try with a few skins mostly wheen comming
    back from any plugin to basichome .....also win xp . no errore logs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom