Satelite/CableTV Provider: ~
HTPC Case: ~
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote: harmony 880
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Hello,

I'm having a bit of a problem - I have options, but need some opinions and/or help. Anyways, I have a few old xvid/divx files, and I cannot for the life of me get them to play in MPC or MP, they only work in VLC (I understand why). I have ffdshow installed, and if I uninstall it, the xvid files work, but then I lose the functionality out of ffdshow. I cannot figure why xvid and ffdshow cannot coexist. I've tried tweaking the settings in ffdshow, but it does not help.

Specifically, when I load a file into media player classic home cinema, it just brings up a black screen, loading/slowing occurs, and then it crashes, vista states the program is unresponsive. This also occurs in WMP, and in mediaportal, after trying to hit play from the moving pictures plugin, it just goes right back to that movie's/video's/clip's info page (I would guess this mean it isn't working). I'm sure it has something to do with ffdshow and I understand that I could just take ffdshow out of the picture or forget the old xvid/divx files (they aren't that important, but it would be nice to have them playable in MP) and that would solve my problem - but does anyone have a work-around to this? or any ideas at all? TIA

Dan

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Visit the Vista codec pack homepage and select both the 32 and 64 bit versions of the codec pack, this installs both xvid and ffdshow to be optimised for the best video playback support.

cheeseman

Portal Member
    November 25, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Visit the Vista codec pack homepage and select both the 32 and 64 bit versions of the codec pack, this installs both xvid and ffdshow to be optimised for the best video playback support.

Alright! Thanks I'll try that out when I get back home!

cheeseman

Portal Member
    November 25, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I think that just about fixed it! Thanks for the info! :D

I had heard of the vista codec pack, but thought it was some bogus packs that float around the internet and didn't wanto to mess up my pc with random codecs that would only make playback harder.

Now, I just need to tweak the settings abit...

Thanks again!

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Bogus packs, yep there are a few, shark007 usually hangs around the biggreenbutton or msfn websites and has a good reputation for preconfiguring the contents of his pack to not conflict with each other, which is one of the main criticism's aimed at most codec packs which are just a mishmash of bundled codecs with no thought into whether they play nicely with each other.

Hopefully you should not have any issues, had none myself for 2 years :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom