You got hang/black screen/crash/slow zap issues? I may have found the solution! (1 Viewer)

iSP

Portal Pro
January 2, 2007
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Maybe some can remember from either the forums or back on irc I had some trouble with the TVE3 engine, it would be highly unstable for me, and there seemed nothing related to it.
Even from SVN to SVN the amount pf problems changed to some degree and it was difficult to put a finger on the problem.
For the record these were some of the problems I was experiencing:

* Sudden loss of signal
* Random channel crash
* MP crash on changing channels
* Black screen on changing channels
* Hang on changing channels
* No audio/video found
* Either only audio/video playback
* Slow on changing channels
* No playback of recorded streams
* Pretty random errors related to subtitles/channels basicly anything related to my tv

The problems were hard to track, especially as TVE2 worked rockstable without any noticible problems for the same channels from the very same source.
After responding in some threads the folowwing solutions/problems were discussed:

* wlan problem
* tsreader problem
* broadcaster may not stick to the standards

But using TVE2 I had no problems except I would not have dvb/subs, so it could only have been that, beet even so it still should be able to make mp crash right?
Well the best chance I found would be wlan, as wlan has irregular times it would remake contact with the access point.
But after comparing the problems with some mrtg graphs I couldn't relate any problems to the stability of the wlan connection, it was a 1seat install so why should it use the wlan connection in the first place right?
After a lot of searching and thinking I decided to check on mssql, as I followed the descriptions in the video to make sure I wouldn't mess up somewhere.
Checking the logs proved usefull, the problems matched in timestamps!
How could this be? No clue but it seemed it lost connection to the database time after time after time, basicly the only error I found.
So as I had seen before mp is able to use mysql instead to, did this I solved ALL of the above problems instantly!
This might require some investigation by someone able why all of this happened in the first place.
But I got more!

* Changing channels is much much faster now, little over 1 sec!!!! on dvb-c yes!, encrypted no fta!!!!
* mysql has a much smaller footprint, +/- 34 less mb in use now i9n task manager!!!
* ALL problems were instantly solved!!!
* Mysql is much easier to install than mssql, you could save you a lot of steps, basicly a standard setup works!!!

Well this is my experience after weeks of searching and researching, I hop it proves usefull and I'll link all topicsI responded on with a link to this topic so people will find this topic when they got the same kind of problems, it might just save them from the hell I went through!

iSP

Commodore 64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Nice job! This makes me want to try TVServer again, but this time with MySQL.

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Maybe put that into your signature ;-)

We would be happy if someone could check all documents / wiki to ensure that MySQL isn't "neglected" somewhere. Many people just use MSSQL because the tutorial videos / old documentation stated to do so :(

risu

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 22, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Then again, some users have issues using MySQL so that's not all around fix.. Separate TV database in general has caused a lot of problems so far. I've used both mssql and mysql from time to time succesfully and unsuccesfully.

I'm currently on mssql since for a while I couldn't get mysql to start tv service automatically on boot. Haven't checked if it's been corrected as mssql works now just fine - if it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Pretoriano

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 1, 2007
    Roma, Italia
    Home Country
    Romania Romania
    Then again, some users have issues using MySQL so that's not all around fix.. Separate TV database in general has caused a lot of problems so far. I've used both mssql and mysql from time to time succesfully and unsuccesfully.

I'm currently on mssql since for a while I couldn't get mysql to start tv service automatically on boot. Haven't checked if it's been corrected as mssql works now just fine - if it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Yep,i can confirm what risu just said cause i've tryed both and still have a lot of issues with TV3.And yes maybe mySql it's working great now ISP with a fresh created database,but something goes wrong after you will install uninstall SVN
    a couple of time(at least that's how it goes for me).You are right about the issue with channel changing on scrambled but i think it's a tsreader problem(and maybe mdapi filter if you use it)because some SVN work great and some not.
    I've always tested the latest SVN but recent versions for me screwed up the tv part of MP.Most of time i'm using Vista but this week i will do the tests on XP to see if i get the same issues.

Regards

sdf

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2006
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Tried with Mysql but channel changing is a little bit slower and it takes a very long time to load the full channel list (Hotbird)
    Turned back to MsSql

bigflause

Portal Pro
    August 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    same here only difference is that MYSQL is slower. same issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom