zap2it new website (1 Viewer)

vette68

Portal Member
April 24, 2008
COCOA, FLORIDA
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Anyone else out there using zap2it to download & create a tvguide.xml file & having problems with zap2it's new downloaded data?
They just updated their website completly & now My tvguide.xml file contains no listings & I get cache folder full of .json.gz files that I don't know how to handle.

clarkebelt

Portal Pro
June 8, 2014
Home Country
I know this thread is a couple months old but just in case you are still struggling with this, the secret is to go to the zap2xml page and download zap2xml2 (note the 2 at the end), then create an account at http://tvschedule.zap2it.com/ (NOT at the original site) and set up your lineup there.

Note: If your virus checker complains about the installer at that site (Norton does) then download just the perl script version, You will probably also need to install the free version of ActivePerl if you have not already. Put the perl script it its own directory and then create a three line batch file (.bat extension) that looks like this:

zap2xml2.pl -u your_email_address -p your_password
del tvguide.xml
ren xmltv.xml tvguide.xml

Replace the two login values and run the batch file to update the schedule info. Note you will also need a xmltv.dtd file in that directory or it won't work. Note you do NOT edit the xmltv.dtd, it just needs to be in that directory.

In case you are wondering, the reason I don't have the script output directly to a tvguide.xml file is that if you do that the xmltv plugin can download an incomplete file that is still being created. If you create the file first and then rename it to tvguide.xml, that can't happen.

The one downside of this is you don't seem to get any program descriptions. I'm not sure why that is the case other than I notice that the xmltv.xml file created by zap2xml2 does not contain tags of this type:

<desc lang="en">This is the program description.</desc>

And I don't know of any fix for that. If you can use mc2xml instead, that will get you descriptions, but it is harder to configure and changes to the local channel lineup can make it go into a tailspin (the listings source actually changes the channel identifiers when the local channel lineup changes!). zap2xml2 doesn't seem to have that problem.

Last edited:

Auggybendoggy

March 25, 2017
Home Country
Total newb here, but how do I run the zap2it file? the direction state to run it but plug in your user name and password and I have no idea how to do that. I double clicked the zap2it exe and all it did was give me a dos file with some script but nothing is saved. Can anyone give me some counsel on how to run step 4

Run zap2xml with the userEmail and password parameters of your account

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    zap2xml is designed to be run from the command line, so double-clicking isn't going to work. If you want guide setup with a visual interface (AKA a "GUI") try mc2xml or SchedulesDirect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom