Zip Files (1 Viewer)

neilturner

Portal Member
February 9, 2006
Dear Friends,

I want to send a short TV clip which opens in Windows Media Player to son in USA by email. I am trying to zip the file but failing +++.

There must be an easy way & any advice would be gratefully received.

Thank you for any help.

Neil Turner. UK.

Bram

Portal Pro
December 12, 2005
's-Hertogenbosch
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Download WinRar ( www.rarlab.com ).
install WinRar (next, next, next .... finish)
Rightclick the file you'd like to zip (or rar) and choose "Add to archive...."
In the appearing WinRar screen...
- browse to the location you want the ZIP file to be saved localy
- select under "Archive Format" -> "ZIP"
- select "compression method" -> "best" (not very important, for best compatebility slect "normal" (== default), for best compression select "best")
- click "OK"

The file is "zipped" and ready for sending.
"Zipping" a wmv, avi .... or almost any other compressed movie file has no or almost no effect in terms of filesize. The compression is already very good in most cases. WinRar, or any other compression tool, can't compress it more.

If the file you've created following the using the steps above fails to get delivered in your sons email inbox the file will be most likely to big. (Correct me if I'm wrong...) Hotmail supports a max filesize of 2MB, Gmail max. 10MB.

neilturner

Portal Member
February 9, 2006
Thanks Bram & chris. The WINRAR programme worked well but it is still too big to email.
Will think about it further!!!

Cheerio

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
Upload it to own or public web space... Depends on the size, of course. Or compress it to DivX, H.264, (VCD)MPEG-1 or something like that.

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

you can break the ZIP/RAR with WinRar into muliple smaller files. Eg. for 3.5" disks, each file using 1.4 MB. You might send them seperatly.

Flip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom