Zotac ION-ITX-A - new build client (1 Viewer)

finrudd341

Portal Pro
February 24, 2008
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Home Country
Brazil Brazil
I have taken the plunge and ordered the parts for a new HTPC client, with the old Zalman working as the server. Having read a few reviews, I went for the Zotac ION-ITX-A, for low power consumption and near silence, and am using the M350 case, which I plan to have hidden. I hope to use an old HP Ipaq with Blutooth (remember that?? :p ) as a remote control - any ideas on this anyone?

Specs:
- Zotac ION-ITX-A Motherboard with Dual Core 1.6GHz Atom N330
- 2GB DDR2 800 RAM
- M350 Universal Mini-ITX Enclosure
- 40GB Intel 2.5in SATA SSD

What really interests me about this machine is the accessibility of the mini-PCI slot, which is currently filled with an 802.11n wireless adapter (I will probably use wired), but it looks ripe for some alternative cards. Given the low power consumption of this device, it would run well on batteries, and with a 3G mini-PCI card inserted, this could be a go-anywhere HTPC/internet solution for caravans and mobile homes. I have also seen some mini-PCI DVB-T tuners which again could make this a nice stand alone device. I have also spotted a GPS card on the market, which would make this ideal for a home-made in-car GPS system too perhaps - not that I have a caravan, but perhaps the Dutch forum members might be interested in this? :D

Sadly, I never managed to get my Brazilian Cable TV working in Media Portal with my FireTV card, and have almost given up on watching TV with Media Portal, however, Brazil has announced the arrival of Digital TV, so there is still hope without me having to get a satellite installed!

Once built, next steps will be to get some sort of TV solution running from the main HTPC through to this device. It's coming from the UK, so I wont get it until September some time....will update once it arrives.

finrudd341

Portal Pro
February 24, 2008
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Home Country
Brazil Brazil
My new parts were due to arrive yesterday with my brother coming from UK. However, between Southampton and Paris, Air France managed to lose his only suitcase, so he arrived in Brazil, my new Zotac parts didn't :(

However, on the good side, he packed the Intel SSD in his hand luggage, so that made it! Fingers crossed the bag will turn up today - if not, some baggage handler somewhere has a nice little project to be getting on with.

wijnand

Portal Pro
December 14, 2007
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hi,
I wonder how things are running with your setup. My MP client ( Asrock 330HT) isn't just capable of playing smooth live tv. Even 720p is hard for the machine. All other video's stored on de MPserver are running fine, also the HD movies. With live tv it keeps on stuttering. No matter wich codec I try. So I decided to build my own client with an intel DH57JG mobo and a i3 550 proc and a NOX it'x fantastic case. Now live tv runs fine, even HD channels wich need deinterlacing.
Good luck!

Regards,

Wijnand

finrudd341

Portal Pro
February 24, 2008
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Home Country
Brazil Brazil
Will let you know once I have it set up and running, as I only just got it home. However, first impressions: the cutout provided by Zotac is not great quality - it needs some trimming to get the HDMI plug inserted, and the coaxial audio. It was a fairly tight fit in the M350 case too, but goes in ok once you work it out.

I'll be taking it all apart and doing some trimming this weekend I think, and will see how it does on the HD playback next week.

finrudd341

Portal Pro
February 24, 2008
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Home Country
Brazil Brazil
So - some initial thoughts:
1 - Zotac, sort that CPU fan control out!! Oh, wait - there isn't any fan control, and apparently they don't plan to release this in the mobo firmware. I have a Zalman fanmate, but that's not the point.
2 - The cutout - it's ok, but no where near the quality of the nice Asus one I last work with. Usual problems with the cutout making some cable connections problematical. Anyone skilled with a Dremel mult-tool (I am not) might have less concern.
3 - The M350 case - it's a tight fit, but that's mini-ITX I guess - airflow seems ok so far, although I am reading plenty about people not liking the contact between CPU/GPU and heatsink. Some people are taking it off, putting a copper shiv inbetween, and re-greasing, after which they are getting fairly cool temperatures.
4 - Intel X25-V SSD - no idea if it works. Bios sees it, but that's as far as I have got.

I am currently getting a Windows XP STOP message at the first point of installation, and am running some memtests to see if I have a faulty RAM stick, or if this relates to the problems with XP pre-loading everything into memory, and then failing when it tries to load this to SSD. While the RAM tests are ongoing, I am creating a nLite version of XP installation with everything I need, and everything I don't need.

So far so good, and might even get this working next weekend!

finrudd341

Portal Pro
February 24, 2008
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Home Country
Brazil Brazil
I have an zotac ion-fe and the latest bios has an fan control option.
You have to enable it in the bios.

Yes - it's strange that they released it for other ION models, but not for the A, B, C or D models. I am quite surprised at how warm this runs too, so it clearly needs the fan, and leads me to think that the method Zotac have used to bind the heatsink to the CPU and GPU is not the best. If the copper shim mod really does reduce the temp by up to ten degrees then it's worth having.

Progress Update:

Using nLite to get Xp onto the box worked, but I am doing it again, with a more careful selection of what I put on this time around. I will start working on MP only when I have XP running just as I want it.

finrudd341

Portal Pro
February 24, 2008
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Home Country
Brazil Brazil
Here's the update, with some photos showing the M350 case attached via the VESA mounts to a cheap Dell 17" VGA screen. The screen is the only one I had around that has the Vesa mounts on it, and it works quite well - the picture quality is not as bad as I thought it would be, although MediaPortal does seem slow moving between screens, which I thought might be the monitor refresh rate...

MP is installed and running, and so far, I am quite impressed. The Zotac board and Intel SSD seem to be handling most things well - there is some judder in playback of HD .mkv files, but not much, and similarly on playback of HD TV channels, there is a little judder and what looks like dropped frames now and again, but not enough to worry me yet.

The heat build up does not appear to be an issue either - the case is well ventilated and gets slightly warm, but not hot - some more testing on this is needed.

Still to do - I need a solution to tidy the cables - the USB receiver for the Microsoft clone remote is about 300m long (!) and I am wondering about getting my wire snips and soldering iron out...

Similarly the VGA connection is too long, and a 15cm one would be much neater - however, I am not sure I am going to keep the box on this screen for long - it was more of a proof of concept than intended to run on it. I have found a website where a Do It Yourself VGA cable is shown running on CAT5 cable, which would be ideal - flexible, and I can cut it to the length I want. There is only one tricky solder on the plugs, where 3 pins need to be bridged, but otherwise it looks quite easy.

Wireless is the only part I am struggling with at the moment - I can't remember quite how I set up the wireless network in the house, which is on a separate VLAN, rate limited, and so secure even I can't use it! However, I am keeping it quiet of my wife will find out our broadband connection is actually 12Meg, and not the 0.5meg she thinks it is! :D

Attachments

• P1050736.JPG
    P1050736.JPG
    122 KB
  • P1050737.JPG
    P1050737.JPG
    157.4 KB
  • P1050738.JPG
    P1050738.JPG
    116.2 KB
  • P1050739.JPG
    P1050739.JPG