[not reproducible] Bad behavior when stopping video/recorded TV (and Live TV) (1 Viewer)

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    The behavior is not always the same and unpredictable. I've been waiting to see if anyone else has had the issue, but this time it was weird.

In this last instance, I was watching a TV recording in TV Series that was converted to h.264. when the video was finished, it froze on the last frame and my music playlist started to play. I had been listening to the playlist before starting the video, but had stopped it first. hitting the stop key stopped the music and the black screen (last frame of the video) was released and the the display went back to the TV Series list.

Other times, when the video is done, or stopped ... sometimes in Moving Pictures, sometimes in TV Series, sometimes in Recorded TV ... the last frame is stalled, then the HDD light is on for some time, then the video card is turned off and on (I can see this happening because the VGAtoTV converter shows color bars on a video reset). Sometimes MP returns to the GUI, sometimes it just locks at the last frame, and I have to exit with the program manager, sometimes an error box to exit MP shows up. Sometimes the key-presses are unresponsive and I have to hit the reset button.

This is on the main HTPC and is usually being used at the time, so logs are hard to get to. I find this behavior happens more often if I had been watching either a stream from Online Videos, or a video download from Online Videos. I cannot reliably get it to fault when I am testing for it, after hours.

I think it hates me.

Last edited:

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    Okay... here are logs.

Was using aMPed True4:3 skin (960x720) on a 800x600 display, full screen, converted D-sub to S-Video (NTSC) externally.

Finished watching an 1280x720 MKV video in TV-Series (had watched a recorded TV episode earlier), MP returned from video, the TVSeries list screen stopped with several elements still midway in fade-in. Screen froze momentarily, then Video output was reset (got color bars) and MP then returned to normal operation. Watchdog was set to debug but did not execute on the error. I stopped MediaPortal and manually ran watchdog to collect full logs.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    Happened again... this time, we just finished a movie in Moving Pictures, went to the TV Guide and viewed a short bit of Live TV. When the TV was stopped, video output was reset (color bars) again. Then returned to normal operation. So I exited MP and ran watchdog to collect all logs.

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    Anyone have any ideas why I'm getting the occasional lost device error when I stop a video/Recorded TV/Live TV ... it happens nearly once a day. This is a recently installed new mobo and CPU, I was getting similar issues with the previous mobo/CPU, but I never got the video reset - just got an error message (to kill MP) or had to kill with Program Manager. It has been going on since at least MP 1.2.3, 1.3 Alpha, and now 1.3 Beta. I thought it was my old mobo acting up. I've been sorting through my mind for all possible conditions.. but I'm still stumped.

I haven't seen it happen on my client, but I don't run it for hours like the main HTPC. I'm only hoping that when I put the Client in the Living room to replace the HTPC (which will become a dedicated TVServer/media storage system), that I don't have this issue. I have to wait until I can afford a new HD TV to replace my 4:3 NTSC TV to find out (no HDMI/DVI connectors)

Last edited:

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    new test.

Default skin/Default theme. 3rd party plugins disabled. Unused plugins uninstalled.

set watchdog to Report bug report to Team MediaPortal.

run mediaportal. go to MyVideos, run video, skip a couple times through video.stop ... last displayed frame pauses for long time, then MP goes back to normal operation.

go to recorded tv. run episode. skip through episode a few times. stop. screen displays black for long time then video output resets (color bars). MP returns to normal operation, exit mp and watchdog collects logs. Then run MP again ... something new happens.... report in next comment.

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    Okay... I restarted MP after last test.

When I came back to run another test a few minutes later, I see color bars. hitting the green button on the remote restored MP to Basic Home screen. Exited MP and watchdog collected logs.

weird.

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    there might be something else going on in the last report. ... I left the PC at Desktop for a while and the video turned off at some point (color bars). looks like any activity will turn on the video... like moving mouse. doing some more checking. I had reinstalled all the mobo drivers, and DirectX 9.0c yesterday to see if I have any corrupt system drivers.. could be some odd setting with the video drivers or power settings changed. trying again. ... waiting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom