Calling all MP New Zealanders (Both of you!!) (1 Viewer)

mastyman

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 1, 2010
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    hmm all is working it found all the sky and freeview channels, but not the SBS channels?

Does anyone know what i should enter in the advanced tuning options to find SBS

Frequency=?Khz
    Symbol Rate=12600 ?
    Polarisation = LinearV ?
    Modulation = Not Defined?

thanks

DrMopar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    hmm all is working it found all the sky and freeview channels, but not the SBS channels?

Frequency=?Khz
    Symbol Rate=12600 ?
    Polarisation = LinearV ?

thanks

Hi, this is what I've got in my config file for SBS.

- <Transponder>
    <CarrierFrequency>12646000</CarrierFrequency>
    <Polarisation>LinearV</Polarisation>
    <SymbolRate>12600</SymbolRate>
    <Modulation>ModNotSet</Modulation>
    <InnerFecRate>Rate5_6</InnerFecRate>
    <Pilot>NotSet</Pilot>
    <Rolloff>NotSet</Rolloff>
    </Transponder>

thekiwi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2007
    Gisborne
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

Frequency=?Khz
    Symbol Rate=12600 ?
    Polarisation = LinearV ?

thanks
    I used the images posted here:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...al-new-zealanders-both-you-2321/index245.html

I cant scan the channels, but get good reception with those settings.

SBS1
    SBSONE.jpg

SBS2
    SBSTwo.jpg

SBS HD
    SBSHD.jpg

Bleazle

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2007
    Pukekohe
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi All

Figured I'd give you a run-down on how the building the new HTPC went for anyone that might be interested....

Firstly - why'd I do it? A few reasons:
    - The TV side of my HTPC was cr@p - it was basically a lottery as to whether TV would play or record (more on that later*)
    - Playing DVDs was virtually impossible (every time I went out of town to work I would get a call from my wife complaining :mad: that it wasn't working :mad:)
    - I download the US supercross & motorcross for my boys and I to watch (no Sky in this house - don't have time to watch it, probably because I'm too busy doing MP stuff..) and about 6 months ago the guy that up-loads the files started encoding them to an HD format, which gives a great picture but unfortunately my HTPC couldn't handle it and would get stuck after about 5 seconds (no matter what playback software I used)

So after doing a lot of "Googling" and taking into account the advice some of you posted I finally decided on what I needed for the new system:

Motherboard: Gigabyte P55A-UD3
    PSU: Zalman silent PSU
    CPU: Intel i5 750 2.66Ghz
    RAM: 4GB DDR3
    GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5670
    TV Tuners: 2 x Hauppauge Nova-S Plus DVB-S
    Video Software: PowerDVD10
    O/S:Windows 7
    MP Version (as of now - I generally run the latest release): MP 1.1 RC4
    Skin:BleazleWide (yeah I know, that was a given :p )
    Sound: Handled by the GPU: HDMI out - Amp - TV (HDMI)
    Case: Accent HT-400 Black with VFD (this and the DVD driver are the only things I didn't change)

Backing things up and pulling the guts out of the old system then installing the new hardware was pretty straightforward, if a little time consuming.

I got a bit of a fright the first few times I tried to fire the system up - I got three Blue Screens of Death :eek: before I realised I had to go into the BIOS and set it to boot from the optical drive so i could install the new operating system (whew!). Installing Windows 7 was a breeze, especially compared to the time it takes to install XP :mad:

Then it was pretty much just a matter of installing MediaPortal, Power DVD (+ the latest version of AnyDVD of course :)), tuning in the TV and installing ForTheRecord + Comskip (right?). Unfortunately I wasn't quite that straightforward because no matter what I did I couldn't pick up any TV channels on either of the cards :rolleyes: After battling with MP TVServer for hours I gave johns11 a call and we figured out that the problem was probably due to both TV tuners having the same drivers installed... back to Google.... different drivers installed on one card -> 105 channels found :D

Naturally a little bit more tweaking went on here and there but that's pretty much the guts of it. One change I made yesterday (and would recommend to anyone that hasn't done it) is that I now have my music being played using the Winamp plugin and ASIO4ALL - the difference in the quality of sound is huge! I bought a Marantz amp recently and I've got decent speakers to go with it but I didn't realise how bad the quality of the music MP puts out was until I made this change! The only "drawback" is that when you play music via ASIO the computer remote doesn't control the volume but I don't care about that, it gives me an excuse (not that I need one) to go and buy a fancy remote to control everything :D :D (anyone using one that they can recommend?)

Apart from installing PowerDVD I haven't installed any additional video codecs and don't intend to, everything is running fine as it is and I don't use plugins like OnlineVideos etc because I found setting them up previously was more hassle than it was worth.

I haven't added up the cost yet but I guess this setup cost around $1,200 to build (Pricespy took a hammering). Was it worth it? So far (touch wood) hell yes! :D :D - For starters it's much quieter than my old system was, TV is (so far) working without a hitch, as I said above my music sounds better than it ever has, I really like Windows 7 (for example, to add the HTPC to my wireless network all I had to do was plug in my D-Link USB wireless thing & push a button on my router - the driver installation was handled automatically and it just works - it's great!) and the videos I download play without a hitch (which they should because this thing is way overpowered for an HTPC - that i5 CPU packs some grunt!)

* Re TV: Not all TV tuners are created equal (that's for sure!) - after finding 105 channels on each of my Nova-S cards I thought I'd drop the TechniSat Skystar 2 tuner from my old system in so that I could (if required) record or watch SBS while recording (or watching) any of the Freeview channels**. I installed the latest drivers for the card (I had to because W7 won't let you install "unsigned" drivers, which the ones on the install disk were) and then scanned for channels - it found 1 channel - the Test Channel :rolleyes: That card is now disabled and will be going in the bin the next time I take the hood off my HTPC...

**Since I couldn't try this out I'm just assuming that it would have worked if the card had found any channels...

Thanks to johns11 for giving me some pointers and those of you that chipped in with some ideas a couple of pages back :D

Note: I haven't installed a Blu-Ray drive yet, I decided that could wait for a bit - I need to spend some money on my KTM to get it (and me!) ready for a 160k enduro at Tarawera race next month :D

Bleazle

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thread Trivia
    • This thread is the 2nd largest thread on the forum with 2,886 replies, 2nd only to the original SAF 4.X thread with 5357 replies.
    • I think it might be the oldest active thread as the first post in this thread was on the 11th July 2005, about 5 years ago.

Reg

Portal Pro
    November 22, 2008
    Christchurch
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi All

The only "drawback" is that when you play music via ASIO the computer remote doesn't control the volume but I don't care about that, it gives me an excuse (not that I need one) to go and buy a fancy remote to control everything :D :D (anyone using one that they can recommend?)

Bleazle

I recently got a new TV and it was a different brand from all my other equipment so I got the sales woman to throw in a FREE Logitech Harmony 515 worth about $60 for my wife (who has always had trouble knowing which of my five remotes to use for what). Anyway this remote is fantastic. It supports a huge number of devices and comes with a usb cable and CD, you program it all via the computer. It did take me a while to figure out how to program it, but once programmed it works great. It actually has options in the software that support MediaPortal, but I actually had better success just programming it for MCE functions. So this remote might be worth checking out.

Valharion

Portal Member
    June 16, 2010
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hey guys thought I'd chime in as a fellow Kiwi.

I've been using MediaPortal for years now since a friend converted me from Windows Media Center. I've always had major problems with getting the right codecs for our channels. TV3 in particular always gave me audio sync'ing issues/time delay.

Recently I read the following post: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...my-various-multimedia-files-82443/#post629369 and followed the instructions which cleared everything up and now it works perfectly.

I started out with an old PC, onboard video and using 3.5mm cable from the back of the onboard sound card.

I think the one bit of advice is not to cheap out on hardware. Do it right or don't bother because you will get what you pay for :)

Once I realised the difference good hardware makes I saved up and built a new box from scratch using Nvidia graphics, multiple hard disks (timeshifting, recording) and even a nice Antec case with MiniDisplay on the front.

Now days when I see Sky advertising there 'My Sky HDI' boxes I just laugh.

Reg

Portal Pro
    November 22, 2008
    Christchurch
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    hey Reg.. did the logitech come with an IR reciever too?

No my Harmony 512 did not come with an IR reciever.

It does however control the SENSOR that came with my MCE remote fine. I am calling it a SENSOR as I am not actually sure it is IR, I think it might actually be wireless as the MCE remote doesn't need to be pointed at it.

The Harmony can control thousands and thousands of different devices, you just enter the model number of the TV, reciever /amp, DVD player, computer or whatever and it controls it.

Unrelated to the Harmony ...... One thing I did notice about my old MCE SENSOR is that if it is positioned in front of my New Sony TV the red light on it comes on and stays on, so I have positioned it just slightly behind and under the screen where it seems quite happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom