Handling VOB files/organizing videos (1 Viewer)

ORPhD

Portal Member
March 8, 2006
Little Rock, AR
I really hope I'm posting this in the right place...if not, I apologize. I've tried searching, but cannot find my answer.

I finally got around to really tinkering with MediaPortal this past weekend, and I absolutely love the program. Even more telling, my wife (who frequently sees me using various programs all the time, but never feels the need to comment) saw me working on it, paused, and said, "That's a really cool program...where'd you get it?" Now she can't wait for me to have it up and running on our main TV. In fact, she asked me out of the blue yesterday when it was going to be ready. So keep up the great work guys.

Anyway, my question is in regards to something I noticed particularly with TV shows ripped from DVDs.

I guess I'll first describe my process. I rip the disk to the hard drive, then I use DVD Shrink to remaster the disk with just the shows: no menus, trailers, alternative languages, etc. This results in an IFO file (which is what MP seems to be reading), combined with one VOB file for each episode.

MP seems to concern itself only with the IFO file, and treats all the episodes as one contiguous movie. This is ok, but not quite what I want (plus it seems unable to skip back to earlier episodes). What I would like to do is rename each VOB file to the episode's name, and then be able to select the episode directly from MP.

I figured if I just moved the VOB files to another directory and renamed them to what I wanted, that would work (it didn't). I then realized MP wasn't looking for the VOB file name, so I told it to do so in the Setup. This still didn't fix the problem, as it would then just show a black screen. I then changed the file extension to something else (tried both AVI and MPEG), but this seemed to introduce other anomolies (no FF/REW, random jumping, weird sound, or, worst of all, distorted aspect ratios).

I realize now this also applies to other non-movie things as well (for example, the Pixar shorts). Is there any way to do what I am looking to do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom