Hi10P files not playing anymore in MediaPortal (1 Viewer)

justfun

Portal Member
November 18, 2010
Hello everyone,

after upgrading my HTPC I suddenly cannot play Hi10P files with MediaPortal anymore. Every other codec or file type works fine.

I use LAV, but the problem also occurs with other codecs. The file starts playing and I get the sound, with some decoders (Cyberlink) even the subtitles, but no picture.

Everything is fine when using Mediaplayer Classic (MPC-HC) that is even set to use the same LAV filters as MediaPortal, not just the internal LAV filter. Changing the various LAV hardware acceleration settings did not help. It does not seem to be a filter problem.

Can anybody help? I tried to attach a log file.

Thanks!

justfun

Portal Member
November 18, 2010
What exactly did you "upgrade"?

The PC got a new mainboard, a new processor and a dedicated graphic card. It changed from a AMD A43400 to the system mentioned in my system spec panel.

Apparently Hi10p decoding can't be accelerated with current GPU hardware... so did you try disabling hardware acceleration?

Yes, but no change. As I mentioned, the same LAV decoder that MediaPortal uses work fine with Media Player Classic.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Okay, so quite a significant change.
    I don't know exactly what is going on. The only thing I can see that looks suspicious is the is the audio renderer log:
    18-03-2015 01:17:09.284 [ 1760] Unable to find selected audio device, using the default end point!
    18-03-2015 01:17:09.285 [ 1760] Default audio endpoint: "Digitalaudio (S/PDIF) (8- High Definition Audio-Gerät)" ({0.0.0.00000000}.{2ce2577d-122e-408d-bcc0-b7e2fe51bc6f}) - pull mode: 1 sprk mask: 0

So what happens if you use the default DirectSound audio renderer instead of the MP one?

justfun

Portal Member
    November 18, 2010
    Unfortunately no change. (I also don't really get the error message - one S/PDIF audio device is working fine, another one labeled with the same name is not plugged in anymore and not activated anywhere.)

I would like to avoid doing a new installation of MediaPortal or even the OS, but in the worst case I have to try it that way.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I would like to avoid doing a new installation of MediaPortal or even the OS, but in the worst case I have to try it that way.
    I doubt a new installation of MP or Windows would help. It rarely does unless MP and/or Windows are actually messed up, which they don't appear to be in your case.

Unfortunately I'm just not able to tell you what is wrong.
    Regarding the video, I think this is unusual:
    [collapse]
    [2015-03-18 01:17:09,538] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - VMR9Helper: Playing -> Repainting, Frames 50
    [2015-03-18 01:17:09,564] [Log ] [MPMain ] [WARN ] - GUIWindow:OnWindowLoaded: 'C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\Skin\Titan\myVideo.xml' is missing control id 6 (window property: btnPlayDVD)
    [2015-03-18 01:17:09,567] [Log ] [MPMain ] [WARN ] - GUIWindow:OnWindowLoaded: 'C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\Skin\Titan\myVideo.xml' is missing control id 8 (window property: btnTrailers)
    [2015-03-18 01:17:09,597] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - VMR9: Repainting -> Playing, Frames: 50
    [2015-03-18 01:17:10,043] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - Main: WM_ACTIVATE (WA_ACTIVE)
    [2015-03-18 01:17:10,050] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - Main: Activation request received
    [2015-03-18 01:17:10,055] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - D3D: OnGotFocus()
    [2015-03-18 01:17:11,359] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - VMR9Helper: Playing -> Repainting, Frames 0[/collapse]

...but not sure if the codec or renderer are at fault.
    I also think the DirectShow playback graph included with the logs is a little odd. I thought the subtitle path was meant to end in the video renderer... but perhaps I'm wrong.

The only other thing that might be useful is if you could take screenshots of your LAV settings and post them.

justfun

Portal Member
    November 18, 2010
    Could this one have been a messy mkv file? I also tried dozens of other Hi10p files from different soures and it is always the same.

I added my LAV video settings to this posting, they are more or less set according to this thread. I tried every option of hardware acceleration, but none worked.

While trying out various settings I just changed the video renderer to VMR9 instead of EVR and now Hi10p files are playing again. This may be a work-around, although I seem to be missing a few features of EVR...

Attachments

• lavsettings.jpg
      lavsettings.jpg
      245 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Dumb question: did you reboot after installing the GPU driver etc.?

justfun

Portal Member
    November 18, 2010
    Yes, every time I use the PC. Updated windows, DirectX and the graphic drivers again just now, but no change.

Are there any drawbacks from using VMR9? If the video quality is the same, I could use it as long as missing hardware acceleration does not pose a problem.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Yes, there can be issues using VMR9 on anything other than Win XP - EVR is the 'native' video renderer in Vista and later OS and MP does not support VMR9 on anything other than XP (even though it might work).

Try unticking (disabling) the 10-bit and 16-bit output formats in LAV video decoder. MP's video path is 8-bit only(as far as I remember) so you won't be getting 10-bit colour resolution anyway downstream of the video decoder.

The key 'upgrade' change is almost certainly the change from AMD to nVidia GPU - maybe the AMD drivers do automatic 10 bit to 8 bit conversion for EVR (when required) but nVidia don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom