How to start (1 Viewer)

matejdro

Portal Pro
May 28, 2010
Home Country
Slovenia Slovenia
So i want to help testing, but I'm missing something.

I have successfully builded MP2 and manage to connect client to server. But i can only scroll menus, i can't find a way to add media. And since i saw bug reports about playing videos in that section, i know that it's possible.

I have also saw paths.xml and several sql files. Where to set mysql database settings?

Sorry for stupid questions.

Albert

MP2 Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2008
    Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: How to start

Hi matejdro,
    if you have client and server running and attached to each other, you can configure server shares via the shares configuration menu (the server must be connected for that). Depending if you have client and server running on the same or on different machines, you can also configure client shares.
    After that, the importer starts working automatically as soon as the server is connected. After some minutes, media items are accessible in the Music, Movies and Pictures sections.

matejdro

Portal Pro
    May 28, 2010
    Home Country
    Slovenia Slovenia
    When i want to add shares, it says that home server is on the same machine, but not connected. Server shows that client is connected.

matejdro

Portal Pro
    May 28, 2010
    Home Country
    Slovenia Slovenia
    I haven't found anything unusual. Anyway, i'm attaching it. Also home screen shows only "local media". I guess there should be something like "remote media" that takes media of server.

Maybe is problem that i have single-seat setup?

Attachments

• 1.png
      1.png
      215.4 KB
    • 2.png
      2.png
      147.8 KB
    • 3.png
      3.png
      20.6 KB

Albert

MP2 Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Well, the server log isn't completely in the file. But I believe you that everything seems ok.
    I see only three possibilities:
    1) You messed up the client's configuration directory so that the client thinks it is attached to another server
    2) You messed up the server's system id
    3) There is a network problem.

I added some more output regarding UPnP devices which are found on the network for both server and client. I'm not sure when our public SVN server gets synchronized but IIRC it's quite up-to-date. Can you please test it again and upload both log files again? Close client and server before you copy the log file.

And yes, you're right, if the connection process finishes correctly, "Local media" disappears and "Music", "Movies" and "Pictures" menu points appear.

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Well, the server log isn't completely in the file.
    I noticed this, too, especially when viewing the logs live, using BareTail for example.

1) You messed up the client's configuration directory so that the client thinks it is attached to another server
    2) You messed up the server's system id
    Trying with clean (empty) settings directories may help here.

Edit by Albert:
    When deleting settings, during development, always delete both the server's and all attached client's settings.
    If you only delete the client's settings, it will get a new system id and when it is attached then, the server has two clients attached. All client's data will be imported a second time. Vice versa, if you only delete the server's settings, the remaining client's will still think they are attached to the old server instance.

The settings directories are located in Win7 under C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Client\Config resp. C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Server\Config.

matejdro

Portal Pro
    May 28, 2010
    Home Country
    Slovenia Slovenia
    Thanks for your support.

After cleaning settings folder, updating SVN and rebuilding i found what was the issue - ESET Smart Security. I have disabled it and it's working.

Now i have to figure out what to do with ESET smart security, so i can use MP2 with turned firewall on. When i turned on ESET logging it showed me lots of blocked connection with TCP, ICMP and UPNP with strange descriptions like "Apply ICMP Filter" or "Packet blocked by active defense" which i'm unable to found and make an exception.

EDIT: found it. You have to go to the settings, turn off bunch of attack protections and after that go to rule setings and add new rule - allow icmp for both server and client. Damn, for all other applications i just get a prompt - allow or deny, i select allow and it's done. Is MP2 using some unusual protocol or is ESET going nuts?

EDIT 2: I have tried playing a video and i get weird lag. It's hard to explain, just every few seconds video rewinds for a second, which makes it unwatchable. It seems like it don't have enough bandwith to stream the video, but it's clearly enough bandwith since i can play videos normally with MP1 or any other player. Video is SD. Logs included. Logs again seem to be cutoff, but i closed down both server and client before copying logs.

Albert

MP2 Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Fine that it's now working for you. No, we don't use strange protocols, just UPnP, which works over UDP. My Win7 firewall asks every time when I use an MP2 from a different directory. Why don't you use the default Win7 firewall?

I also have such a problem with the video. Here, basically the video plays but about every second the player shows one or more frames which have been shown about half a second before, so the video seems to jump back and forth. That is a known problem and will go away when we exchange our rendering engine, which is still to do.

Some team members don't have that problem so I guess it's related so our hardware.

matejdro

Portal Pro
    May 28, 2010
    Home Country
    Slovenia Slovenia
    I use ESET, because it have more features than Win7 firewall and possibly is more secure and i have never had such problems. But whatever, it's working now. But problem is that many other users have ESET Smart Security and if you would need to dig into the settings, it would not be best for MP2. I know it's probably problem on ESET side, but still.

About video proble,, i'm glad that i'm not alone.

Thank you really much for your support. I will try to test stuff now and report. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom