Impressions of 1.3.0 beta DefaultWide (1 Viewer)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    really??? what does the other one do?

@catavolt thoughts? you have two adjacent buttons that both look like pwr buttons, and some people (incl me) think that the wrong button is for pwr :D I would think an X would be better if the above button is for closing MP (I dont actually know what it does, but i assume its for closing)

Last edited:

catavolt

Design Group Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 13, 2007
    Königstein (Taunus)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    New Exit buttons in skin (and merged to GITHub) ;)

top_exit_disabled.png top_exit_enabled.png

JDWestoby

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 9, 2008
    Poltimore, Devon
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    While I think the new Titan skin is very vibrant, even the new Deafult Wide is too flashy for me.

I must admit the old DefaultWide was just purely functional (and hence didn't get in my way).

I run [most] MP clients on netbooks (one per room more or less, so they run as radio clocks in the bedrooms) and these don't have a lot of grunt for fancy graphics, so I'll be looking to see if I can 'revert' the XML files back to the 1.3 Alpha style - purely because I don't want/need fancy graphics when generally it is just showing the clock!

Not to take anything away from the amazing graphics that Catavolt has put together (wish I was that good with graphics), just my preference for function over style.

(Yes, I do like Unix too :D )

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    While I think the new Titan skin is very vibrant, even the new Deafult Wide is too flashy for me.

I must admit the old DefaultWide was just purely functional (and hence didn't get in my way).

I run [most] MP clients on netbooks (one per room more or less, so they run as radio clocks in the bedrooms) and these don't have a lot of grunt for fancy graphics, so I'll be looking to see if I can 'revert' the XML files back to the 1.3 Alpha style - purely because I don't want/need fancy graphics when generally it is just showing the clock!

Not to take anything away from the amazing graphics that Catavolt has put together (wish I was that good with graphics), just my preference for function over style.

(Yes, I do like Unix too :D )
    After trying several of the 1.3.0 compatible skins, I can heartily recommend Frames as a functional, pleasing and simple skin and a worthy successor to the old DefaultWide. It has nice smooth and intuitive icons, the Classic view is quite similar to the old DefaultWide, and many of the screens have improved the layout in comparison to DefaultWide. The Weather screen is a paragon of simplicity and effective use of screen real estate. My only criticism is that the Album view in Music (like most skins) has a ridiculously small number of albums visible in the list at one time.
    To give @catavolt credit where credit is due, his new PureVision HD 1080 is much better in this department, and also incorporates a number of features, such as a search for TV programs, which I have long wished for. The "Modern UI" theme helps to reduce the "sensory overload" typical of the newer screens, is intuitive and also makes good use of screen real estate.
    P.S. Frame has the TV search function as well, it's just not quite as obvious.

Last edited:

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    If was found automatically by FanartHandler or Mp itself.
    I even don't know from what site mp is pulling backdrops. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom