initial support for Hauppuage HD-PVR (4 Viewers)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Just for fun, have you tried Sage or MythTV to see if maybe its an MP problem and not a hardware issue?

Sacrilege!!! :p
    Having said that, I'd actually be interested to know if the problem is on our side.

sjeffrey

Portal Pro
    August 22, 2008
    Canada
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I have tried Sage and MythTV.
    For MythTV I never had the patience to configure the entire thing so I can pronounce on that one.
    For SageTV it was a bit more stable but still had issues. One thing I had wanted to do for a while was to make the pause time between channel change configurable. That's how SageTV is setup. This stops the timeshift buffer for 'x' seconds to allow the streaming to clear up and avoid DD switch glitches and what not. The only issue is that once you got to a commercial break the glitch would still happen.

The receiver not responding to IR commands is a very weird one. As you said it works with original remote but all the receivers I had, SD, HD, HD PVR all had the same issue that a universal remote would not work for the first minute or so after powering on.

Wile's idea about command line to send IR is a good idea. What I have done is setup a auto-tune timer on the STB every 12 or 24 hours (can't remember).
    The interesting thing there is that there is an option to turn off the standby timer but it doesn't seem to work.

rojoyinc

Portal Pro
    December 27, 2010
    MM- thanks - (oh there they are yeah - I see the names are less formal for the logos. Will change them to match!

Re: Glitching. (I don't get this with the included arcsoft viewer. Did get it with MP until just recently.

IR commands - I have it sending all the channel change. I'm using the default (included) STB / 301 model I think... (quick setup) all those worked.
    I then recorded SELECT and "RECALL" channel. I added those to my STB listings and even in "TEST" they don't seem to work.

String - I'm all for it (yes please send it) and how to call it. I think the standby mode seems to be every 3-4 hours. On my old SD dish was 24 hours and wasn't a problem. I'd attach a "select" (enter) on the end of a channel change and do a manual 2 minute record at 5am which would reset the screen saver mode. Not working with newer HD receiver.

Else if I could send a PREFIX (precode - I think is in the default IR's I loaded) I could send a SELECT before each channel change which should wake up the receiver.
    (there doesn't appear to be a precode loaded) in the quick setup STB / dish301 codes.
    I'm using TV3.

sjeffrey

Portal Pro
    August 22, 2008
    Canada
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Try IRSS (IR Server Suite)
    It's got a TV Server plugin which allows you to send SELECT before AND after channel change.

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Yes, Use IRSS. That is what I use and it works well. I too initially set it up to send a select or OK signal before the channel, but it took the STB so long to wake it added 4 seconds to the channel change. So to reduce the time I just send these commands every 8 hours to the STB's:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\IR Server Suite\irblast-nowindow" -host MediaServer -port Port_1 "OK.ir"
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\IR Server Suite\irblast-nowindow" -host MediaServer -port Port_2 "OK.ir"

These two commands reside in a text file called "wake.cmd" and I have it scheduled in the Windows 7 Scheduler. NOTE: You cant set up one schedule to run every x hours, so you will have to set up multiple schedules to run at specific times (i.e. I have three, the first at midnight, the second at 8AM and the third at 4PM.) The only thing(s) in the command lines you would have to change is the path and the key name (e.g. "OK.ir" is my Ok or Select button.)

Wile E.

Having said that, I'd actually be interested to know if the problem is on our side.

LOL... Nice :p

I wasn't trying to get anyone to convert, just wondered if the issue is specific to MP :D

twemperor

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2010
    Home Country
    Hey twemperor,
    Yes, your biggest issue is you are using the 1.2 alpha. I tried it for a little while, and had very similar problems where files would not play correctly, I had runaway recordings, and all kinds of other recording issues.

My recommendation would be to do a clean install with 1.1.2 and you should see a lot of those issues go away.

Good luck!
    Wile E.

I had not done a clean reinstall of MediaPortal before, and props to the BackupSettings plugin for making it much easier than I expected. A clean install of 1.1.2 seems to have cleared up this issue with the Hauppauge HD-PVR 1212 (and some other issues with Live TV in general). I didn't want to jinx it, but I'm 24 hours and a dozen recordings with 1.1.2 and everything looks great!

I guess I declared victory a little too soon.

The main problem- recordings stopping and requiring a restart of TV Server/HD-PVR have stopped. 20 recordings later, and everything is still working great on MP 1.1.2.

Unfortunately, one of my recordings still had the black frame flicker. This is odd because I can't find any real mention of this problem on any other forums. For me, the audio is perfect but the video has a black frame flash up ~1 per second. I've tried replacing the composite input cables, but the picture is great otherwise. My DirecTV H-20 box is configured to only output 720p, so I don't think it's a problem switching to 1080i. Maybe some other kind of channel/content signal configuration? Framerate? I believe I've configured the HD-PVR to use 10Mbit VBR and output in M2TS format. Any other recommended configuration?

Has anyone else experienced this black frame flicker?

For anyone else having stability problems with the HD-PVR, I wanted to point out that I finally resolved ALL my stability problems. The box was overheating. I have a rev E1 box, and it doesn't appear to have an internal fan (that I can hear), but it does have vents on the bottom and it would get really hot when recordings would fail (in any way). I may just have a bad box (open trouble ticket with Hauppauge), but what solved the issue was a desktop fan aimed directly at the bottom of my HD-PVR. It's not a long term solution, but I have been rock solid in 100+ hours of recordings over the past few weeks.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Here's a blog from someone who added a fan to his HD-PVR.
    ARogan: Hauppauge HD PVR (model 1212)

I'm glad that works for you but for me even when freshly started it stutters right away. I think heat problem is related to it freezing after a few hours recording.
    I guess I could give a try, who knows...

There are many potential causes of stutter as you probably already know. If you want to solve issues like this then I advise you to try and work out the cause/s logically. Common causes of stuttering:
    - slow/overworked HDD
    - incompatible codecs
    - reception issues
    - overheating/damaged components
    - MediaPortal bugs
    - bad drivers/firmware

A good first step would be to determine whether you only get the stuttering in MediaPortal.

Assuming the issue is system-wide, the second thing I would look at are the timeshifting and recording HDDs:
    Are either of the HDDs 5400rpm "green" drives? (those drives often cause issues for people, especially if they have to do multiple things at once)
    Is the drive an advanced format (4kB sector) drive, and if so is it formatted correctly?
    Are other applications that are running in the background causing issues? (I recommend disabling virus scans on your timeshifting and recording folders/drives)
    Are the drives highly fragmented or almost full?

Next thing would be codecs and CPU:
    What codecs are being used, and do they support hardware accelerated h.264 decoding (DxVA)?
    Is the DxVA enabled and working (ie. is the CPU doing lots of work while you *watch* TV or recordings)?

Codecs often require a bit of experimentation to get the right combination. Don't be afraid to try some different ones. If you're on Windows 7 then the Microsoft codecs are a good option. I'd also recommend the Cyberlink PowerDVD codecs. ffdshow can be tricky to set up, but if you know what you're doing then that is a fantastic and *free* option. I believe the DivX and MPC-HC codecs should also work (both free). CoreAVC is the best if your video card doesn't support DxVA (you can check that with DxVA Checker).

Next is video card and tuners:
    Are you using up-to-date drivers?
    Does the video card have good airflow around it?
    Is the video card powerful enough? (for ATI/AMD I'd strongly recommend HD4670 or better, or HD5450 or better; can't speak for NVidia)

After that, reception:
    How is the reception for other TVs and tuners in your house?
    Can you move the PC closer to the first aerial output and see whether that makes a difference?
    Have you got a signal amplifier that you can try? (only recommended if you truly think you have *weak* signal problems)

Of course this doesn't apply so much for the HD-PVR itself, but you could check the signal to the cable box and the cable between the HD-PVR and the cable box.

Finally other rarer and more general issues.
    - check system heat levels
    - test your memory with memtest
    - try other older/more stable tuner and video card drivers
    - try reinstalling MediaPortal and/or Windows

Many of these things are common sense, however I thought it would be a good idea to post them anyway. If you find that MediaPortal is at fault then we would love to try and resolve this, however at this point I am still skeptical...

[Edit: of course the internet is full of advice too...]
    [Edit2: especially look here...]

rojoyinc

Portal Pro
    December 27, 2010
    WilE - where to get irblast-nowindow.exe? I've seached and looked all over my C: drive and no such program. (not in ir suite) or mp areas either?

Yes, Use IRSS. That is what I use and it works well. I too initially set it up to send a select or OK signal before the channel, but it took the STB so long to wake it added 4 seconds to the channel change. So to reduce the time I just send these commands every 8 hours to the STB's:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\IR Server Suite\irblast-nowindow" -host MediaServer -port Port_1 "OK.ir"
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\IR Server Suite\irblast-nowindow" -host MediaServer -port Port_2 "OK.ir"

These two commands reside in a text file called "wake.cmd" and I have it scheduled in the Windows 7 Scheduler. NOTE: You cant set up one schedule to run every x hours, so you will have to set up multiple schedules to run at specific times (i.e. I have three, the first at midnight, the second at 8AM and the third at 4PM.) The only thing(s) in the command lines you would have to change is the path and the key name (e.g. "OK.ir" is my Ok or Select button.)

Wile E.

LOL... Nice :p

I wasn't trying to get anyone to convert, just wondered if the issue is specific to MP :D

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    WilE - where to get irblast-nowindow.exe? I've seached and looked all over my C: drive and no such program. (not in ir suite) or mp areas either?

It was installed by IR Server Suite in the directory in listed above. Be sure when you install IR Server suite you check IR Blaster in the Command Line Tools section. Do NOT install the 1.4.2.4068 version, the IR Blast is broken!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom