Input devices shortcuts not working on the USB remote (1 Viewer)

goorawin

Portal Pro
August 3, 2007
Home Country
I am having trouble to make my remote control work correctly on MP2. Having upgraded from MP1 to MP2 where the remote using the Flirc USB device, has worked well. It seems anything I enter in the input devices shortcuts on MP2 works as it should using a keyboard, however those entries will not work at all using the remote via the Flirc device. Of course this means the remote is almost useless, as only the basic functions on the remote work. Interestingly the remote works correctly with Kodi. The OS is Windows 11.

Media Portal 2 seems to have a missing link somewhere along the line, that Media Portal 1 didn’t.

I would very much appreciate some help to solve this issue.

Thanks in advance

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Media Portal 2 seems to have a missing link somewhere along the line, that Media Portal 1 didn’t.
    Have you run the "Input Devices" utility in Settings? Select "Function Shortcuts" It should ask you to press a button on the device (your remote) then present you with a list of functions which you can individually map to the buttons on the remote. Unlike MP1 MP2 does not have mappings for specific types of remotes it is all done manually but that means old & new remotes will always have support.
    For further info see here:- Input Devices

Untitled.jpg

goorawin

Portal Pro
    August 3, 2007
    Home Country
    Have you run the "Input Devices" utility in Settings? Select "Function Shortcuts" It should ask you to press a button on the device (your remote) then present you with a list of functions which you can individually map to the buttons on the remote. Unlike MP1 MP2 does not have mappings for specific types of remotes it is all done manually but that means old & new remotes will always have support.
    For further info see here:- Input Devices

View attachment 210872
    Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have setup the Input Device shortcuts, that is why I know the keys on a keyboard work correctly, as they have been setup in the input device to do. The problem is that on the remote they do nothing no matter how I set the remote up.
    On other software like Kodi and Media Portal1.3 it works correctly and do what they have been setup to do. So the remote/Flirc is working as it should. I have tried this process on 3 different computers running both Windows 10 and 11, with the same result.

goorawin

Portal Pro
    August 3, 2007
    Home Country
    I have just test the remote with 2 different keyboard testing programs and all the buttons on the remote that were programmed, tested correctly.
    So where is MP2 different to other software in handling keystrokes?

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have just test the remote with 2 different keyboard testing programs and all the buttons on the remote that were programmed, tested correctly.
    So where is MP2 different to other software in handling keystrokes?
    I use an Ortek remote which is not HID but sends keystrokes and that works perfectly! Is Input Devices responding when you try to map a button on the remote?

goorawin

Portal Pro
    August 3, 2007
    Home Country
    When I use the remote to try to input a keystroke into the Input Device it does not respond, so no input. Interesting

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    MediaPortal 2 supports out of the box only HID devices (which covers almost all devices supported by windows). In some cases also non-HID devices may work, but I’d call it luck.

The input device manager was completely rewritten last weeks. It should work reliably with all devices now.
    @Brownard can we place a test package of the updated plugin here?

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    When I use the remote to try to input a keystroke into the Input Device it does not respond, so no input. Interesting
    UPDATED:-

Does it respond to the press a button message and go to the mapping page?
    If yes try setting the "Choose Default Mapping" and then select Default Remote then retry to customise the mapping again. If that still does not work make sure the OK function is mapped (to enter or whatever you use on the remote for "OK"). if necessary kick off the mapping for the OK function with a mouse or KB.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

goorawin

Portal Pro
    August 3, 2007
    Home Country
    No that did not work, however just to clarify, some buttons do work in MP2 like the arrow buttons, the back button, OK, and several others. These buttons however, have no effect when trying to use them to map shortcuts in the Input Device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom