Jagged Edges (1 Viewer)

knutinh

Portal Pro
September 4, 2005
This sounds like a deinterlace problem to me.

mPod: seems like you have the nvidia setup working fine. Do you ever notice that video blacks is greyer than gui/anything elses black? I am thinkingh that some sources use video type 16-235 video levels that arent compensated anywhere. What do you think about this?

-k

D4bFz3awSRYHKjr3

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 14, 2006
    Home Country
    Aruba Aruba
    Here are two screenshots the first is from mediaportal and the second is from media player, from the same recorded file.

http://www.tipshesemans.be/mediaportal.bmp
    http://www.tipshesemans.be/MediaPlayer.bmp

The difference is quite clear to me,

My nVidia decoder settings are slightly different, I'm using content default and deinterlace auto, but in media player or mytheatre it is great.

Just tried changing my settings just like your "raw aspect" and "smart" but it didn't help

mPod

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2005
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This sounds like a deinterlace problem to me.

mPod: seems like you have the nvidia setup working fine. Do you ever notice that video blacks is greyer than gui/anything elses black? I am thinkingh that some sources use video type 16-235 video levels that arent compensated anywhere. What do you think about this?

-k
    Hrmmmm.... Not that I noticed such yet. FYI: 16-235 video levels is the PAL standard. Levels higher/lower are not "legal" for TV transmissions. Not all stations follow it today anymore, tho. But in theory they have to.

knutinh

Portal Pro
    September 4, 2005
    If I watch a letterboxed transmission, the "black" part that is transmittet from the tv station is without exception greyer than the black used by MP as a frame around the edges.

16-235 is specified in ITU-R rec. BT.601-5
    black = 16
    white = 235
    zero colour difference = 128
    peak colour difference = 16 and 240

I think that most equipment is supposed to pass (non-standard) values of 1 through 254.

Many high-end DVD players allow you to select "video-rgb" or "pc-rgb" output, presumably compensating for pc equipment expecting the full range of values.

I think that analog transmissions reserve those values for blanking flags or something.

-k

D4bFz3awSRYHKjr3

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 14, 2006
    Home Country
    Aruba Aruba
    nobody knows how to solve this? I think that the pictures show it clearly that mediaportal is messing something up when displaying, mpeg file liveTV or DVD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom