[further infos missing] Linked folders not importing (1 Viewer)

sridharb

Portal Pro
October 13, 2007
Home Country
India India
Ok, how do I debug this if I want to? Ideally, I want to debug the client (which doesn't show the movie listing) rather than the importer which may or may not have imported information for the symbolic link by going to its underlying source. If it is the latter that is the problem, then we can take that as the second step after verifying that the client is behaving properly (which I think it is not).

Thanks,
Sridhar

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ok, how do I debug this if I want to? Ideally, I want to debug the client (which doesn't show the movie listing) rather than the importer which may or may not have imported information for the symbolic link by going to its underlying source. If it is the latter that is the problem, then we can take that as the second step after verifying that the client is behaving properly (which I think it is not).

Thanks,
    Sridhar
    If you like to debug in the MP2-Client, open the Visual Studio solution, compile the client in DEBUG mode an run it.

• Make sure the MP2-Server is not connected/attached so you work "local only".
    • Create a new local media source in configuration that points to the folder which contains symbolic links.
    • Use the "browse media" tile from home screen. In detached mode the browsing now happens in client side only (not browsing the imported MediaLibrary). This way you can add breakpoints in metadata extractors a.s.o.
    The code is commonly shared by client and server, so if it works in client it should do in server as well.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    I don't have issues with junctions in MP2. They are working pretty well since ages. But since some versions (probably after 2.1.3) MP2 did not import linked files as it did before.
    I also have my files on different physical drives and "collect" all movies or series in one central folder, one for movies and one for series. As my movies are in separate folders with all supporting files (.nfo, local fanart) I also use junctions normally to link the countless movie folders into the central media source folder...
    But there are many movies that are part of a series too (e.G. The first X-Files Movie is Season 00 Episode 01 of the X-Files series). To get those movies listed in Series and in movies without the need to have them twice laying around, I'm using Symbolic links to the file, not to a folder. If the file is not on the same partition you can't use anything else than symlinks... And since some time those symlinks are no longer recognized by MP2. (I had reported this at least twice already some time ago)...
    Earlier versions of MP2 had no issues to follow those links. Other HTPC tools like Kodi also can use symlinks easily...

But for me this is a Server issue, not an issue of the client as the server is responsible for the import...

Edit...
    I'm using Link Shell Extension to create the junctions and symlinks easily without any CLI fiddling.

sridharb

Portal Pro
    October 13, 2007
    Home Country
    India India
    If you like to debug in the MP2-Client, open the Visual Studio solution, compile the client in DEBUG mode an run it.

• Make sure the MP2-Server is not connected/attached so you work "local only".
    • Create a new local media source in configuration that points to the folder which contains symbolic links.
    • Use the "browse media" tile from home screen. In detached mode the browsing now happens in client side only (not browsing the imported MediaLibrary). This way you can add breakpoints in metadata extractors a.s.o.
    The code is commonly shared by client and server, so if it works in client it should do in server as well.

Thanks morpheus_xx.

I have more information. I tried the local only configuration with a local media source that uses symbolic links. The browse local items tile worked as expected and I was able to see all the files in that folder. When I clicked on the movie, it asked me to choose what kind of items to add - I chose video and it worked properly.

So, it looks like the client is able to navigate through junctions properly.

I then reconnected my server (on the same box) and then went into Movies (not Browse Media). Now, I saw it said Client items and Server items. When I chose Client items, it showed me the folder, but without any movie in it - i.e. the same problem that I have using server media sources.

So, it looks like it is a Server problem and possibly an importer issue? How does the server know that there is a movie in a particular folder? Remember that I use folder view in "Movies" instead of Library view for the reasons given above.

Thanks,
    Sridhar

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    How does the server know that there is a movie in a particular folder?
    The importer executes a number of so called MetadataExtractors (MDEs). Most important the SeriesMDE, MovieMDE. Each of it performs different actions, like checking for .nfo files, try to parse file name / folder name for name, do online lookups to TMDB or similar sites. See the full list of MDEs in folder: MediaPortal/MediaPortal-2

Each MDE has a category which it can work on: Audio, Image, Video. Depending on the configuration of Media Source and the type of media you have selected, the importer will run all of the matching MDEs.

In summary the video file is shown only under "movies" (or series) if they were recognized by any of the MDEs.

sridharb

Portal Pro
    October 13, 2007
    Home Country
    India India
    Ok, thanks. That's very useful. I do not use online sources as I use tiny Media Manager to do all the online information gathering. This should save it as a movie.nfo file and this NFO file should be used by the importer.

This means that the importer has failed to recognize the NFO file in the symbolic link folder. Or has problems navigating to the folder itself.

How can I setup a test with more information from the importer to see where it could be failing? I know that it logs information in the Server log, but is there a way for it to log much more verbose information?

Thanks,
    Sridhar

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You can run the MP2-Server also interactive program. Use the command line switch "-c" to start it in "console" mode (a window, actually).

This makes it easy to debug server code. If you look especially for nfo reading, place a break point here: MediaPortal/MediaPortal-2.

Then best is to:
    • Create a local folder with a single movie inside (either copy or a symlink)
    • Add this folder as media source, category "movie".
    • Let the importer running, it should hit the breakpoint 1 time.
    If you do this with multiple items, you will get many threads in parallel which makes debugging very hard.

sridharb

Portal Pro
    October 13, 2007
    Home Country
    India India
    Thanks, this looks like a good strategy. I will try this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom