MCE RC6 IR receivers shortcomings (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ...so I suppose that it could be called a "Marmite" remote (I think the equivalent in your part of the world would be a "Vegemite" remote...
    LOL! We have both in NZ.
    Grew up in the middle of Africa where I only had access to Vegemite for 7 years, and so got thoroughly sick of it. Now I'm exclusively - when it comes to a choice between Vegemite, Marmite or similar variants - a Marmite guy.

...but in all seriousness, choose whatever works best for you. I'm just an curious bystander with a little bit of head-knowledge about IRSS (...which has come from transplanting and improving the MCE transceiver support for a to-be-completed TVE 3.5 tuner extension), throwing out suggestions in the hope that it might help you find some answers and get to the best possible solution.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I would expect (not checked this yet) that the Harmony has definitions for the Ortek/Hama too.
    I have now checked this. The "MyHarmony" online setup tool does not recognise the "Hama 00052451" as a supported device :(, but it does recognise and support the "Ortek VRC-1100" -- it calls it the "Ortek Media Player" :). I added this to my Harmony 650 (I had one unused device available in the 650), and updated my "HTPC" activity to use the Ortek device in place of the Microsoft MCE device.

Using the Harmony 650 with the Ortek/Hama IR receiver works well :), especially when combined with the AutoHotKey script available elsewhere (which overcomes the deficiencies in the Ortek/Hama). So I am going to use this remote/receiver combination for a while.

I am still not 100% convinced by the Harmony. I love its concept of activities, the online setup tool is excellent, and the database of supported devices seems to be large. The disadvantages for me are buttons that are too squidgy :(, and a curved underside that means one cannot operate the remote on a coffee table (the remote tips over) :(. (Some people are never satisfied. :D)

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom