[News] MediaPortal 2.0 Alpha - RELEASED (1 Viewer)

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Just a quick message to say congratulations, and thank you to the MP2 team.

I have installed it today and had a little play (I currently have it setup to run MP2 using Multishortcut from MP1, which seems to work nicely).

Like m0t0k0 says, it seems very nice and responsive and the setup is relatively simple. There is clearly a lot to do still, but it is an amazing milestone to have reached.

Thank you all!

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    What fantastic news :)
    Well done to the team :D

It only seems like yesterday that we were discussing MP2 as a far distant concept - new we are just starting to see the fruits - it's a marvellous moment.

Baron of L/S

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 31, 2009
    Gippsland Lakes
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Have tried to install but get the message to install a later version of Windows Installer, have downloaded Installer v4.5 but still no good, I am running XP sp3, will this not work?

RicoHTPC

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 4, 2011
    Cuxhaven
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Have tried to install but get the message to install a later version of Windows Installer, have downloaded Installer v4.5 but still no good, I am running XP sp3, will this not work?

Quotation from mp2 Wiki:

"Prerequisites

MediaPortal 2 is developed to run on modern operating systems and supports only Windows 7 in both 32 and 64 bit versions. Older operating systems are not officially supported."

Guess that answers your question even though that's probably not what you wanted to hear...

skeal

Portal Pro
    October 21, 2007
    Near Munich
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    There is no config for the server and mediafiles already... understood correctly? :)
    I installed the server on WHS 2011 and the client is on win7 64

But this early stage simply works like a charm. also such nice features like PiP and the config in the mp-gui is great!

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    WOW... Installed it on two systems one server+client and one client only. It works!!! Both W7 x64

Ofcourse the bare essentials are only there, but very promising indeed.
    Things I liked:
    - Build in configuration, No separate 'offline' configuration possible. GOOD! But, it isnt 'idiot proof' yet. Going through the setup on intuition is rough. But doable! :) This might just be my perception. Ofcourse I am used to setup of MP1 now, so I feel less in controle at the moment. Probably also due to some things not being in there yet. (dynamic refreshrate, demontools setup, remote controls, etc. )
    - Build in three different skins (in only 60mb!!, which is normally the size of a descent flashy skin)
    - Fast as hell! No lag experienced what so ever! I.E. opening a folder view music folder of 800+ songs is instant!
    - Building the database with movie-files/music takes some time, without an indication on what it is doing. (or I missed it). This is why I thought it was not seeing all movies. But I was wrong, it sees all, but it takes some time..
    - Solid, no crash what so ever.
    - Server application seems light on the system. It uses only 22mb and near 0% cpu.

Overall: Very good work! Proffesional look and feel. A nice and fresh experience. ! I am very impressed!!!

[edit]
    One rectification needed. Remote (standard MCE) works like a charm out of the box :D

tringler

Portal Pro
    July 19, 2009
    Fürth
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    PiP-function works absolutely great! Thanks a lot for this preview!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom