MetroPortal App - a Windows Phone App for MediaPortal - v1.1 (22-05-2012) (2 Viewers)

Rowdy.nl

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 7, 2010
    Venlo
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    MetroPortal App is a Windows Phone 7 App to remote control your MediaPortal HTPC. For now, this version only supports a simple remote control. In future versions, support to view and stream your MediaPortal library and more remote control options will be added.

Features
    • Metro look and feel
    • Multiple connections
    • Auto connect
    • Pinnable tile for direct access to the remote
    • Easy setup by scanning the MPExtended or WifiRemote QR tag
    • Dutch, English and German language support
    Requirements
    MedtroPortal App requires the MPExtended Service, or at least, for now the WifiRemote plugin (included in the MPExtended installation)

Keep in mind that MediaPortal should be running to connect to WifiRemote...
    This means the remote will only connect/work when MediaPortal is running!

Download
    You can download the App from the Marketplace, or scan the Microsoft tag below.
    MetroPortal-MS-Tag-Small.png

How does it work?
    If you're familiar with Metro/WP7 it should be really self explaining.

However, best practice:
    1. Open your MPExtended Configuration on your HTPC, go to the tab QR-Code and tick the box Include authentication for user
    2. Start MetroPortal App
    3. Go to Connections, tap the + icon to add a new connection
    4. Tap the vision icon to scan a QR-Code and scan the QR-Code in the MPExtended Configuration screen
    5. Tap the check icon to save your new connection
    6. Check the Automatic connect option
    7. Go back to the main screen and tap and hold the Remote tile, choose Pin to start
    8. Bam! Instant remote on your start screen, just one tap to control your HTPC... :sneaky:
    Known bugs, issues, todo...
    Known bugs? Yeah, I know... :unsure:
    Do you find another one or have any other questions? Post them, or send me an email.
    • Connection center is hicky. Sometimes it won't connect properly. If it happens, please post the situation here.
    • When your WiFi connection is enabled but not connected the App sometimes thinks it's connected.
    • Translations. The german translation is bad I guess. Any help would be appreciated.
    • Tiles in the homescreen, copied from the great streamedmp skin (sorry guys), I need to create some nice looking tiles myself
    Future development, updates, support, ideas
    I'm not sticking myself to a roadmap or putting down any release dates for future updates... I'll try to do my best however... ;)
    Updates will automatically show up in the Marketplace and be posted here. You can also follow development on Twitter.

Good ideas, improvement suggestions, want to translate into one of the 22 supported languages? Leave a message here, or send me an email.

Do you want to support me and? Developing for Windows Phone isn't free (€75/$99 annual subscription) so I would appreciate that very much! ;)

Thanks...
    To the developers of the MPExtended/WifiRemote services and Bombus for thinking up such a great name. (y)

Screenshots

01_HomeScreen-Small.png
    03_Remote-Small.png

04_Connections-Small.png
    06_ScanNewConnection-Small.png

Last edited:

Rowdy.nl

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 7, 2010
    Venlo
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Version History

1.1 - Minor update
    - Fixed bugs with connections (user friendly error messages)
    - Added a extra remote layout (swipe left/right)

1.0 - Initital version

Last edited:

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Looks pretty awesome! Too bad I don't have a Windows Phone.

Let me know if you encounter any problems with MPExtended :)

qtek

November 20, 2009
    Decided to try out this remote as it look very useful. One problem though, I'm not able to connect the the phone to the server. I have followed the instructions but it just says "connecting" forever. Have to restart the phone to reset the app. Any tips?

Rowdy.nl

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 7, 2010
    Venlo
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Decided to try out this remote as it look very useful. One problem though, I'm not able to connect the the phone to the server. I have followed the instructions but it just says "connecting" forever. Have to restart the phone to reset the app. Any tips?
    First, do you have a bit more information for me? i.e., What phone are you using, what OS version are you on? (Settings > About > More info)

Normally, when it get timed out, you should get a error message. From the top of my head I only can think of two things;
    • The user/password combination is incorrect (have you ticked the 'include authentication' checkbox?)
    • You have a firewall enabled on your HTPC wich is blocking the remote
    I assume you have MediaPortal running? If MediaPortal isn't running the WifiRemote plugin also isn't active.

The only thing that bothers me is that you have to reset your phone. Normally, backing out of the application (clicking the back button a few times) should close the App and removing it from memory.

qtek

November 20, 2009
    Wow, that was a quick answer. I solved it, as you suggest I had not ticked the authentication box. The app seems to work great so far, just one question.
    Is it possible to add a button for the the onscreen menu so that it could be possible to change subtitles and other things?
    Other than that I love the app. I might also be helping you translate it to Norwegian if you are interested?

By the way, I'm on Nokia Lumia 800 and OS version: 7.10.8107.79

Last edited:

Rowdy.nl

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 7, 2010
    Venlo
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Glad to help... I'll get email updates if someone posts to the thread. And because we seem to be in almost the same timezone it's possible I respond this quick. ;)

I was planning to add one or two additional screens in the remote page so you can swipe and have more functionality. First a page with other buttons (0-9, subtitles, zoom, main menu) and maybe free choosable favorites buttons (ie a direct shortcut to Moving Pictures). And second maybe a page with a full size keyboard. Glad to hear that functionality is welcome! If you have other wishes/ideas, I'll be glad to hear them.

I also would be more then interested to have some help with a Norwegian translated version. Please send me a email. At this point, I have to figure out what's the easiest way that people can help translating.

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Just a quick note to say I have just installed this app on my HTC Titan and it works great. Connecting to server took a while, but it it did eventually.

Great work!

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Thank you for developing this app, been waiting for a Mediaportal app for my WP for a while, looking forward for future updates :)

I'm having trouble connecting with my Optimus 7 running 7.10.8107.79, just says "connecting" for a while and then "not connected". Might just be my dying phone though, so I'll try with a friends Titan later today

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom