MP 1.12: Changing from Centarea Remote to Generic HID - how to map Buttons properly? (1 Viewer)

daWooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 3, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    yes joe on 1.13 at present

Have updated to 1.13 and used the new Core.dll but still no go with shift+1.:( Also alt+enter brings up the the mini info and with a further press the osd. It still looks like it is interpreting the KB as buttons from the Hama remote!:unsure: I still have the Scenero Centerea Master Remote enabled (no other) with mapping to the Hama map file, how have you done it?

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    It still looks like it is interpreting the KB as buttons from the Hama remote!:unsure:
    I think that this is to be expected. :(

When you plug in your Ortek/Hama IR receiver, Windows thinks that you have plugged in another keyboard and another mouse. The Ortek/Hama IR receiver injects keystrokes into the system, in response to button presses on the remote. The piece of MP code that is enabled when you select "Centarea HID" traps those keystrokes, and translates WMC keyboard shortcuts into MP keyboard shortcuts.

At least, I think that that is how it works (I am not familiar with the relevant MP code).

it was definitely introduced in 1.12
    I would be surprised if the Ortek/Hama has ever worked correctly. :confused: Unfortunately, I recently overwrote my MP 1.9 partition with MP 1.13-pre, so I cannot easily check what happened on MP 1.9. :(

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    When you plug in your Ortek/Hama IR receiver, Windows thinks that you have plugged in another keyboard and another mouse. The Ortek/Hama IR receiver injects keystrokes into the system, in response to button presses on the remote. The piece of MP code that is enabled when you select "Centarea HID" traps those keystrokes, and translates WMC keyboard shortcuts into MP keyboard shortcuts.

At least, I think that that is how it works (I am not familiar with the relevant MP code).

Yes, bassed on what I am seeing it certainly looks that way. For sure according to EventGhost the shift+1 key is still being sent but as soon as the Scenero remote is selected (with or without the Hama-xml mapping) it is no longer actioned! So:-:sneaky:
    Does anyone know what is the action/process that is triggered by the shift+1 key and if it would be possible to map one of the lesser used remote keys to it?

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Does anyone know what is the action/process that is triggered by the shift+1 key and if it would be possible to map one of the lesser used remote keys to it?
    I am currently investigating a possible workaround for the keyboard problem. Early signs look good, at least for a partial solution. So watch this space! :)

daWooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 3, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I would be surprised if the Ortek/Hama has ever worked correctly.

yap 1.11 :)

possible ;) map Show Stat to some key u like

stat.PNG

but real problem presists: the regular keyboard isn't working properly anymore if sceneo/centrea remote is enabled -same results on 3 mp-clients
    no more esc, alt, text...:cautious:
    the strang thing is enter works, num pad number works and F1..F9 works

@Stéphane Lenclud this are the buttons that get recognized (not much) from the hama

hama.png

Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    but real problem presists: the regular keyboard isn't working properly anymore
    Thank you for confirming that the Ortek/Hama DID work correctly in earlier releases. (y)

@Stéphane Lenclud - The workaround that I am investigating really is just that -- a workaround, and not the correct solution. Based on my experiments, I think that there must have been an unwanted side effect from the introduction of "Generic HID" that has caused the "Centarea HID" not to work correctly any more. :(

I am finding that keystrokes entered via the keyboard are thrown away (so nothing appears on the screen). I am using the on-screen keyboard in the "Search in Titles" panel. In order to get the keystrokes to be honoured, I have been adding explicit definitions for them in the "Centarea HID.xml" file. That does seem to work -- the keystrokes are passed through, and finally appear on the screen. :) But this is a regression from previous releases. :cry:

So it seems that there is some part of the keyboard/remote handler that would previously accept undefined keys from the keyboard, and simply pass them through unchanged, whereas now it passes them through only if they have definitions in the xml file. Does that give a clue as to where the regression may have occurred? :confused:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @CyberSimian
    This may be way off base, but on the off chance that it's not: can you confirm whether you have either or both of the Auto3D and/or Shortcut'er plugins installed/enabled? Apparently older versions of them can interfere/conflict with the HID handler.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    can you confirm whether you have either or both of the Auto3D and/or Shortcut'er plugins installed/enabled?
    I have not explicitly downloaded or enabled either of those plug-ins. But I am unclear as to what counts as a plug-in, especially those included as part of the base product, or those included with skins.

For example, I do have the "Amped" skin installed, but I currently use "DefaultWide". However, "Amped" seems to have placed various icons in the "Window Plug-ins" section in "MP Config", and these are enabled. Do these count as true plug-ins? :confused: Here is the list of "plug-ins" that are shown as enabled in "MP Config":

Amped Menu, Extra Menu, Game Menu, Home, Music, News Menu, Pictures, Play Disc, Radio, Settings, Sudoku, System Menu, Tetris, Topbar, TV, Videos, Watch Menu, PowerScheduler.

In "TV Server Config", only PowerScheduler is enabled (but I would guess that TV-Server plug-ins are not relevant for this problem with the remote control).

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    but real problem presists: the regular keyboard isn't working properly anymore
    Thank you for confirming that the Ortek/Hama DID work correctly in earlier releases. (y)

@Stéphane Lenclud - The workaround that I am investigating really is just that -- a workaround, and not the correct solution. Based on my experiments, I think that there must have been an unwanted side effect from the introduction of "Generic HID" that has caused the "Centarea HID" not to work correctly any more. :(

I am finding that keystrokes entered via the keyboard are thrown away (so nothing appears on the screen). I am using the on-screen keyboard in the "Search in Titles" panel. In order to get the keystrokes to be honoured, I have been adding explicit definitions for them in the "Centarea HID.xml" file. That does seem to work -- the keystrokes are passed through, and finally appear on the screen. :) But this is a regression from previous releases. :cry:

So it seems that there is some part of the keyboard/remote handler that would previously accept undefined keys from the keyboard, and simply pass them through unchanged, whereas now it passes them through only if they have definitions in the xml file. Does that give a clue as to where the regression may have occurred? :confused:

Interesting... I have not put in the time to follow all those discussions I'm afraid, so apologize if I missed something important.
    Try the build published on the HID Consolidation thread and see if it help in anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom